From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Art Wolinsky
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 7:33 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Porn-napping & Martin Luther King

An interesting report came through today that reinforces the information
literacy aspects of all of this.

I had a report that a Martin Luther King site was taken over. (I'll list
the site at the end of this message, but please read through the message
before clicking on it.) However, when I visited the site is was not
porn-napped, gambling-grabbed, or squatted on in any way. It was an
"historical examination" of Martin Luther King Jr. with all the
historical
accuracy of a Holocaust denial web site!!!

So why was it reported to me? Was it someone who wanted me to report is
so
that it would be blocked? Was it someone associated with the site who
throught that by appearing on the porn-napping list it would garner
visitors and converts to the racist rhetoric? Was someone testing my
information literacy skills and seeing if I would live up to my
signature
file big time? Who knows?

Regardless of the motives, it provides us with another opportunity to
learn. This is a site I think that students could visit as part of any
number of high school or college courses. Examining a site such as this
under a critical eye is an essential skill our students must achieve.

That's information literacy on one level. Now let's take a peek behind
the
scenes.

Every web author that want to get a site indexed by search engines, has
take a number of steps. First it has to take steps to get the site
visited
by the search engine. Once that is done, they need to include Meta Tags
within the header of their HTML code. These meta tags are key words that
will be used by the search engine that visits. It used them to index the
page.

The idea is to include words and phrases that would trigger your page to
come up if someone used them is a search. Below is the meta content of
the
OII site. You'll notice that the OII tags seek to attract people who are
looking for the content and services we provide.

Following it is the meta content of the Martin Luther King site. See
what
you think of their tags

OII Tags...

<META CONTENT="OII, Online Internet Institute, technology infusion,
internet training, systemic change, online training, professional
development, authentic learning, authentic challenging tasks, online
equity, technology integration, curriculum development, staff
development,
critical thinking, information literacy, internet integration,
educational
community, critical educational issues" NAME="keywords">

Martin Luther King Tags...

<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="MLK, martin luther king, martin luther
king
jr, Jesse jackson, NAACP, integration, Kwanzaa, racism, Black history,
David Duke, White Civil Rights, Civil Rights, fascism, racism, slavery,
hate, hate crime, segregation, discrimination, race, martin luther king,
prejudice, abortion, institutional racism, anti-racism, anti-fascism,
European-American Unity and Rights Organization, EURO, Anti-Defamation
League, ADL, Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith, anti-Semitism,
racism,
bigotry, hatred, prejudice, bias, Holocaust, Israel, democracy,
terrorism,
militia, Jews, Jewish, diversity, anti-Semitic incident, racist,
discrimination, Holocaust denial, neo-Nazi, Nazi, Nazis, tolerance,
civil
rights, Black, KKK, kkk louisiana, extremism, extremist, hate crimes,
skinheads, Middle East, Islamic Extremist, education, White supremacy,
minority, bias, religious freedom, Constitution, religious right,
Christian, free speech, war criminals, school prayer, religion, justice,
hidden children, Internet, World Wide Web">

OK, who is going to make the bumper stickers?

INFORMATION LITERACY
Don't legislate. Educate!

FYI - The site in question is http://www.martinlutherking.org

Take care,