This approach may be helpful to other schools that are overwhelmed by virus
problems.

Our server has been crippled twice this year by viruses (worms to be exact).
Thanks to Peter's timely warning we avoided a third incident yesterday.
Each time we are infected we have to lock down the server and individually
update and scan our site's 350 workstations.  Our tech coordinator only has
one period per day for technology and we get a technician from the district
2 days per week so when we are infected I have to put all my library duties
on hold to help out.  With the number of new viruses and variants popping up
and new DAT files coming out every 3 to 7 days this fall has been a disaster
for the library and for any teacher who relies on computers.  Not to mention
that normal repairs, upgrades, and support have been put on hold for weeks
at a time.

A solution (?)

This week we decided to make staff responsible for updating and scanning
their own computers.  We created a folder on the server to which all staff
have access.  In the folder we put documents with detailed instructions and
we download new DAT files to that folder.  Every time an update is available
we notify the staff and tell them to install it and scan their hard drive.
The DAT files are simple and quick to install and if teachers have a problem
they can notify us so we can get the technician to help.  It won't eliminate
all of the problems but it should lessen the burden and, hopefully, allow me
to be a librarian every once in a while.

----
Tony Doyle, Librarian
Livingston High School, Livingston, CA
tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us
<Http://www.lhs.muhsd.k12.ca.us/html/lhslibrary/lhslib.htm>
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.  Just get
people to stop reading them."-- Ray Bradbury