Thanks to all who responded!!
Natalie
**********************************
I have run a quasi-olympic event for our middle school kids in the past and
also for my adult Sunday School class picnic. I made up events and put
people on teams. I had a big chart where we keep track of scores as each
event was completed. I have had 6 - 10 events. One time I was able to find
silver, gold, and copper wrapped foil chocolate coins and we gave those as
prizes. Other times I just bought candy that was wrapped in silver, etc. I
think I used Rolos for the bronze.

The events were something like this: "Aerodynamics" All team members created
paper airplanes, tested them, and chose the best two to enter in the
competition. They threw them through a hula hoop for points. I think I did
everything on a ten-point type system to keep it simple.

"Artistic Ability " I tell the team to choose their best artist. I then tell
them this person is the "model" and team members have to take turns at 30
second intervals drawing the model. I have judges decide which teams'
pictures most look like their model. This is usually pretty funny.

Anyway, that's the general idea. I don't do typical "athletic" stuff. If you
want me to try and remember more of the events, just e-mail. Good luck.
Maybe something informative about the Olympic rings and what they
represent...maybe games where students win medals on ribbons...prizes are
books...the cake has the Olympic rings on it...darts thrown at the Olympic
rings determine which book the student wins...

*****************************
ideas: INTERNATIONAL "POT LUCK" each family brings a dish from thier
origin....

GOLD MEDAL READING FAMILIES>>>>

SILVER MEDAL FAMILIES>>>>>>>

BRONZE MEDAL FAMILIES >>>>>>

can also do made up events:

HISTORICAL FICTION GOLD MEDAL

SCIENCE FICTION BRONZE...

(each would somehow be awarded) with maybe certificates...

they could have an "acting " section where the memebrs of the families ACT
OUT a section of the book onstage.... may even come up with costumes...music
etc...
What about some family type competitions and just call them Olympics, such
as bean bag Olympics or hula hoop Olympics, etc.  You could make silver and
gold medals to award the winners.  Another thought is an information
scavenger hunt with questions pertaining to Olympic sports.  Hope this
helps.

Natalie Clark
Children's Services Librarian
Johnson County Public Library