Thank you, everyone!

Here are the great ideas you shared with me, in case anyone else is
interested:

Reading builds understanding

Reading is the foundation of knowledge

We're nuts about reading

Bolt down a good book

Don't screw around - read

 Build a solid foundation---read!
    Brains under construction.
    Brains at work.
    Construct plans for your future...read.
    The best tools for the job...books and ideas.

Dig into books!

What do you call building directions?
Construction Instructions

Reading builds brains, and buildings.

Reading: the nuts and bolts of knowledge
"Gird" yourself with books
Books are the foundation of knowledge

Reading Builds the Future.
Construct the Reading Habit
Read:  Renovate Your Brain
Read - Revitalize - Renovate - Roll On

Books are the building blocks of knowledge.
Reading helps build your future.
Reading destroys walls between cultures.
Improve your vocabulary:  books are built one word at a time.
Get wired!  Read a good book today!
Reading helps you be plumb successful.  (walls must be built "plumb"...also
pun on plumbing)
Reading zone: no hardhard required.
Books are picture windows opening to the world.
Reading opens the door to opportunity.

Did similar theme in the past, and used:
Road sign shapes and yellow color to create signs
that said things like "Caution! Avid Readers
Ahead" "One Way -- Readers Enter Here" "Yield to
Readers" "STOP! It's Reading Time" "Watch out for
Silent Readers" -- you get the idea...
Then I took some of the plastic caution tape used
at construction sites and attached it across
doorways, cut it midway, and let it hang on
either side of the doorframe. (Real
attention-getter)
If you can get some hardhats, faculty members
might be willing to wear them at the appropriate
times. Get bookmarks (I've seen them in library
supply catalogs) shaped like saws, hammers, etc.)
with apropo sayings on them.

Build on your knowledge - READ

Dig into books!
Bulldoze through the fiction section!

Building brain cells one book at a time.

Minds under construction - we're reading.

CAUTION! Turn off voices - Reading zone ahead.

Here are some phrases you might want to use:

Build a solid foundation: READ

Construct your Future: READ

Reading is the cornerstone of any foundation.

Books are the cement of our imagination. (maybe you could find a better word
than imagination here)

You could also take construction words such as BUILD or CONSTRUCT and make
each letter a different word about books or reading or even a phrase. I
couldn't come up with a total concept here, but maybe this will give you a
start for an idea.

B  Books
D  Dreams

---