Hello, everybody:

thanks to all who answered my query.  I didn't get as many answers as I did
requests for a HIT; maybe others will respond after reading these.  Also,
Deborah Stanley responded - I have posted her response at the beginning

*******************
Your email about the BIG6 was forwarded to me by another LMT in my
district. What a great question! In my conference and workshop
presentations, I have occasionally made reference to the fact that The
Research Process blends nicely with the BIG6 by providing the skills and
strategies for "How" to do the BIG6 steps, not just "What" to do.
        I did not learn about BIG6 until several years after I had created The
Research Process in response to a Fresno Pacific LMT course of study. When I
did encounter the BIG6, there were a few important differences. Eisenberg
and Berkowitz always identifed their method as being a broad and general way
to manage ANY type of information-gathering/decision-making situation, from
going to the movies to writing a term paper. In documenting The Research
Process, I observed what and how students were tackling ONLY library
research situations, and came up with these intuitive steps for K-12
research for standards-based, content-area, collaborative units of study.
After all, isn't that the main concern of library media teachers? You said
it best yourself in your original email. (below)
        BIG6 has done a far-reaching job with newsletters and conferences of asking
people in the field for training and sharing of implementation strategies.
But for most of us, if we have to reinvent a way to apply something---we
just don't have time! The Research Process, on the other hand, has a
make-it/take-it, do-it-tomorrow approach, complete with overhead and
handnout templates for each step of research. The other benefit is that each
step can be minimized or maximized to meet the needs of individual students,
teachers, and units of study. But each step is so logical and intuitive, no
single step can be left out completely. It is really the "Cinderella" of
research...you've probably been doing it all along! No one really owns what
is a system of commonly shared ideas or methods.
        Must get back to my research class here in the library...
                                        Best of  luck! Debby Stanley

PS: I also have a CD out now with "canned" PowerPoint lessons for each step,
$15.00 including tax and shipping. There is also a section on role
definition and advocacy for LMTs. Just email me: <debdavest@aol.com>
**************************

All of the research models essentially do similar things. And there are
so many. The virtue of the Big Six is that it reminds students and teachers
that research is a process, which requires forethought and planning, and
that the location and activity step is only one of six. (Years ago, that was
the only step taught-as "library skills"!] The California Model is
recursive. The Kulthau model is reflective. The Flip It model is more
traditional.
  Eisenberg touts the Big Six primarily because it *is* a problem solving
model which can easily be transferred to "real life." I.E., when he teaches
it, the examples he uses are real life examples-researching information to
buy a car, a house, find a school, etc. It is all research, regardless of
whether it is on a school topic or a life choice. I have seen it used
effectively by second graders and it is also taught in college. My only
problem with it is that since it is presented in a linear fashion, there is
an implication that once one step is finished, that's it. We know
otherwise-the more good information is found, and integrated with prior
knowledge, the more one must return to the task definition and narrow, or
enlarge the parameters, or the focus. And the more one learns, the more one
needs to reflect upon the meaning(s) gleaned. I like working with Jamie
MacKenzie's insights at this website:

                http://www.questioning.org/   (an off shoot from the From Now On
website
http://www.fno.org/ )

Bottom Line: I think whatever you use and feel comfortable with,
incorporating insights from other resources, will give your students the
best experience.
****************************
I don't have any input on your title, "Practical Steps...," but another
book I've bought and really like is "The Thoughtful Researcher: teaching
the research process to middle school students" by Virgina Rankin,
Libraries Unlimited Inc, 1999.  This author is experienced, flexible, and
has many good, concrete suggestions for dealing with reluctant teachers,
middle school kids, etc.  She also offers a variety of techniques.  Thought
you might be interested in another approach.
****************************
I will try to get a copy of Stanley's book based on your recommendation.
I'm also really pleased with two very inexpensive little books I bought last
year through a phone solicitation:  One is Bud's  Research Paper Manual.
There's a version for PCs and one for MACs.  Each is $10.95.  There's also
How to Take Great Nows in Class, which uses the "Cornell method" and
includes taking notes from books as well.  It's $7.00.  Little gems I think,
especially for the price.
The research manual assumes no previous experience, either with the research
paper process or typing it on the computer.  Everything is spelled out from
how to get started to how to set up every page on the computer so it will
look professional.  (Do you remember struggling to do footnotes at the
bottom of every page using a regular typewriter? I do.)
I also like that the Bud's book includes documentation formats other formats
besides just MLA.
******************
Last year, at the request of our GT department, we chose IIM (Independent
Investigation Model) as the research model for our district.  The authors
recently presented a workshop at AASL.  If you go to our district library
website (http://198.170.183.252/ccweb/instruction/library/index.htm ), you
will find a link to "Research Model-IIM" on the left hand side of the page.

I would like to read Stanley's book.  It sounds very similar and could
provide reinforcement for IIM.  IIM stresses research without copying (i.e.
plagiarism) and also focuses on summarization and the use of note cards.
Summarization is a TAAS emphasis on our campuses this year.
********************
I haven't read this book. But, you mentioned note cards. I always taught my
students to use them for their sake and for mine. I will describe my method,
which may be a tip, useful, or old news to you. Whatever.

3x5 cards or the smaller size - I prefer the smaller for this.
on the lined side the student writes the facts, quotes, notes gathered from
the source.
on the back side the student writes his name/period and page numbers of that
info
on the back side the student also writes the additional required biblio info
for those notes on that card, along with a number assigned to that source
followed by a letter.
if info/notes from the same source continue onto more cards, then all the
student has to write on the back is his name/period, page numbers used, and
the number/letter key.
so, he might have note cards 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d from the same source.
note cards 2a, 2b, 2c etc. from a second source and so forth.
at the end of each 1-2 days of research, I collected the cards to check. All
I had to do was place a check mark or initials on the back of each card very
quickly.
checking frequently like this keeps the kid on task during the class period,
helps alleviate that do it at the last minute attitude, and gives the
teacher a quick/easy way to check that notes and biblio info are being kept
the teacher's initial keeps the kid from submitting the same cards for a
check over and over; and after 2-4 quick checks like this, the teacher has a
handy daily grade
using the note cards also helps alleviate the kids trying to
copy/regurgitate every word they find; or making photocopies of pages from
books they can plagiarize wholesale at home; and helps a kid get a correct,
direct quote that may be needed on a card.
once the kid starts to organize, he can shuffle the cards around, spread
them out into some kind of visual order without having to worry about where
the info came from, as he has the number/letter system on the back of each
for maintaining an accurate biblio.
the same card system can also be used with Internet info, helping to cut
down on needless printing and some of the plagiarism.
the plagiarism can still continue, but at least, now the kid will have to do
some more thinking/reading to jot down the notes on those little cards; and
the teacher who has required those notecards to be submitted with the
completed project has something concrete to look thru when in doubt. If a
lot shows up in the project that was not in the notecards, then plagiarism
or help from another source obviously occurred.
my primary purpose was to keep the kid on task and to have a quick way to
check. The by-product for the kid is an organized way to gather notes for
research.

Just my 2 cents worth.
***********************
Isn't it amazing how everyone after Middle School expects that we have been
taught how to write a research paper, while middle and elementary school
teachers think writing a research paper is too hard a task?  It sounds as
though "Practical Steps" teaches what another speaker, I heard at a
Connecticut Information Power Workshop called the "craft skills" while the
"Big 6" focuses more broadly on the information process.  One hint for the
note-taking part of the process that I got from another in-service that may
or may not be discussed in "Practical Steps," has to do with the average
kids tendency to copy from a source almost word for word and then think that
because the changed a few words here and there it was "in their own words."
The suggestion rather than using note cards used two column sheets of paper,
but you certainly could use note cards.  First have the kids copy the source
word for word on a card with the proper citation.  Then have them re-write a
"summary" of the information in their words with the same citation on
another card.  The cards are clearly labeled so that the pairs stay
together.  The kids will learn that there are times when they will use
really different words to explain the concept but there are sometimes when
they truly can't come up with better words.  Then it becomes easy to
determine when to use the direct quote or simply a footnote (endnote) to
cite the source in the paper.  Just one of the many skills kid's won't learn
if we don't teach them.
***********************
Please post a hit! I'm interested to know how Deborah Stanley's
process fits into the models comparison chart at
http://www.big6.com/comparison_chart.gif  ??  thanks
********************
I would like to see a HIT with your replies. I have just ordered the
Practical Steps....for the High School level. I, too, have incorporated
Big6 in my info. literacy instruction, so I am curious to see what
others have done.
*********************
Yes, I'd be interested in a HIT.
I looked for something on the web about "Steps" but had limited luck.
Perhaps
you know of a better site than the one below, but, if not, you might want to
look at....
http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Reed_MS/Library/research/generaloverview.pdf
**********************
I have read another book recently that also has good ideas and methods
called the Thoughtful Researcher for teaching the research process to middle
schoolers.  That author (Virginia Rankin)has her oun process.  I don't think
one needs to use the Big Six, which I personally don't like the terminology,
but rather develop the process that works for you and your students as long
as it is consistent in your school.

Carol Valdez, Librarian
Salvador Garcia Middle School
499 Pena Dr.