Sorry to be so late in posting this.  Most replies have been requests for
information, but I did get two replies with info.  I'll add my own findings
below.

1. You can use Federal Title VI money to buy
furniture/counters/tables/chairs
IF you are putting computers on them.  Computers should have been purchased
with title VI or Chapter 2 monies.

We are in the process of building and furnishing a new library, as well.  It
doesn't seem logical to me that I can buy stuff for computers but not for
books EVEN Tho they were also purchased with Title VI money.  This
interpretaion may just be local, however.

Any angels out there that would like to donate money and get a plaque on
shelves/furntiure?  Or buy books or equipment and allow you to the funds
that would have purchased those items and put the bucks toward shelves, etc?
Would each child/family/organization/community contact be able to buy a new
book OR buy an inch or foot of shelving if you break down the cost?  Get
some photos of what have and what you want....before and hopefully after.
Shame and whining do work.  Best to get it all at once, though, in terms of
quality and color of wood and custom fit.

I was hoping you might be in an earthquake zone so you could plead you need
closed shelves that can be anchored in case of an earthquake.  How close are
you to the New Madrid fault?  Open shelves here are a real problem due to
dust (literally Sahara dust) insects, moisture, sunlight on the collection.
We just bit the bullet and bought all new stuff and cut our computer order
back.  We are a private school and do fund-raising all the time.  (Exp.  I'm
making a handspun, handknitted shawl for our art auction to raise money for
the school).

2. One of the media centers in our district got a grant from the McDonald
Corporation for furniture and fixtures - I do not know the details and the
women who wrote the grant left a few years ago - but check with the local
franchise and see if they can help you locate how to apply.

I haven't run down the proper person at McDonald's yet, so I will let all
know if I find out something that might be interesting there.  Also, I did
find a website that perhaps many of you already know of
http://www.schoolgrants.org/grant_opps/nation_no_deadline.htm