--=_A2F9EC47.10717C40

LM_NET friends:
I happen to office next to the US expert on Z39.50, so I asked him if he =
would mind explaining a little bit about the protocol and its implementatio=
n in language that we non-techies could understand. Here is his reply:

Greetings:

Carol Simpson forwarded a recent message to LM_NET regarding Z39.50
compliant servers (message attached below).  I have been working with
Z39.50 for a number of years developing solution paths to more effective
use of Z39.50.  The question of Z39.50 compliance comes up often in the
workshops I do. =20

The bad news is that RFPs that require Z39.50 compliance and vendors
claims that their products are Z39.50 compliant are not very useful.=20
The reason for this is that although a product may conform to the
ANSI/NISO Z39.50 standard there is no guarantee the library gets a
system that interacts well with other Z39.50 implementations.  Because
of the options and choices available in the standard, two vendors can
develop Z39.50 products conformant to the standard but those two
products don't give the performance a library had anticipated.

Work in the past two years on Z39.50 profiles point a way to resolving
some of the problems of systems interoperating.  A profile is a
technical document that states explicitly what choices and options from
the standard a Z39.50 client and Z39.50 server must support.  In
developing a profile, we start with what the functional requirements
are, for example, what searches do you want to do.  Once the
requirements are defined, we then identify the Z39.50 specifications to
support those requirements.  Those technical details can assist you in
developing your RFPs and discussing configuration of Z-clients and
Z-servers with your technical folks.

For information about profiles, you might want to check out the
following:

1.  The Bath Profile: An International Specification for Library
Applications and Resource Discovery.  You can find information about
this at the Bath Profile Maintenance Agency:
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/bath/bath-e.htm  This profile is being widely
adopted and will provide a foundation for improved Z39.50
interoperability for cross-catalog searching, exchanging holdings
information, etc.  Many of the vendors are becoming aware of this
profile and many are working on their products to bring them into
conformance with the profile.

2.  The U.S. National Z39.50 Profile for Library Applications.  This
effort is occurring under the auspices of the National Information
Standards Organization (NISO).  This profile builds upon the core
specifications in the Bath Profile.  I am chair of this standards
committee.  For information about this effort, we have established a
website that contains the committee's minutes of meetings, draft
specifications, etc.  There is also a listserv for committee
deliberations, but it is public and you can subscribe to it as well.=20
The website is:  http://www.unt.edu/zprofile/index.html

3.  The Z Texas Profile.  This effort started two years ago in response
to the need to improve Z39.50 use in Texas libraries.  The resulting
profile and information about the project is at:
http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/projects/z3950/

4.  The University of North Texas, School of Library and Information
Sciences, received a National Leadership Grant from the Institute of
Museum and Library Services to help improve interoperability.  We are
establishing an interoperability testbed where vendors and consumers can
come to assess levels of interoperability between Z39.50 clients and
Z39.50 servers.  This project is just getting underway, and the first
phase of testing will occur in late Summer 2001.  We will use profile
specifications as the base configuration for the testbed, and thus,
we'll have a way to assess conformance to the profiles.  This is doable
while assessing conformance to the Z39.50 standard is not as effective.=20
For information about the testbed, go to: http://www.unt.edu/zinterop/

One last thing that is really important to understand.  Searching and
retrieving information across different library systems and their online
catalogs is complex.  Z39.50 is a strategic tool to provide the
capability for such search and retrieval.  The profiles help bring a
measure of commonality among the Z39.50 implementations.  HOWEVER, there
are other aspects outside of Z39.50 that will ultimately affect the
quality of search and retrieval.  Local indexing decisions and practices
and the search functionality of a local system can have a major effect
on the quality of interoperability between systems.  Although the
profiles address the Z39.50 configuration and specifications, we are
well aware that indexing practices and system functionality need to be
addressed as well.  In Texas, we have started to address the indexing
issues, and you can find a set of preliminary documents about this at:
http://www.unt.edu/wmoen/Z3950/MARC21Indexing/Z3950MARCIndexing.htm

Also, I have several presentations available online that address the
topic of profiles.  You can find them at:
http://www.unt.edu/wmoen/presentations.htm

One that I recently did at ALA Midwinter is:
http://www.unt.edu/wmoen/presentations/NISOOpenForumJan2001.htm

I hope this helps and doesn't overwhelm!  Networked information
retrieval is not a simple challenge, but the library community has
certainly led the way in identifying problems and solutions.  The Z39.50
standard and associated profiles can assist in providing new levels of
service to our users. =20

Cheers,
Bill Moen
Assistant Professor
University of North Texas
School of Library and Information Sciences

Original posting:
=AF---------------------
> From: PAT HINCKLEY <phinckley@3-cities.com>
> Date:  Wednesday - January 31, 2001 11:58 PM
> Subject:  TECH: What is a Z39.50 compliant server?
>
> Someone in the audience at Peter Milbury's Portland, OR, Internet =
workshop
> explained that any of us thinking of upgrading a server should be =
certain it is
> Z39.50 compliant.  This evidently allows a high degree of interconnectivi=
ty with=20
> other compliant servers, hence libraries can share data.
>
> Our network analyst, who I assumed would know all about this, didn't. =
But=20
> she would like to know more. Does anyone here know some specifics on =
this,=20
> or where I might look to find out?

Carol Simpson, Ed.D.
Asst. Professor - School of Library & Information Sciences
University of North Texas
PO Box 311068
Denton, TX 76203
940-565-3776 (voice)
940-565-3101 (fax)
csimpson@lis.admin.unt.edu

--=_A2F9EC47.10717C40

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" http-equiv=3DContent-Type=

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.3018.900" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: =
2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D1>LM_NET friends:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D1>I happen to office next to the US expert on Z39.50, so =
I asked=20
him if he would mind explaining a little bit about the protocol and its=20
implementation in language that we non-techies could understand. Here is =
his=20
reply:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D1>Greetings:<BR><BR>Carol Simpson forwarded a recent =
message to=20
LM_NET regarding Z39.50<BR>compliant servers (message attached below).&nbsp=
; I=20
have been working with<BR>Z39.50 for a number of years developing solution =
paths=20
to more effective<BR>use of Z39.50.&nbsp; The question of Z39.50 compliance=
=20
comes up often in the<BR>workshops I do.&nbsp; <BR><BR>The bad news is =
that RFPs=20
that require Z39.50 compliance and vendors<BR>claims that their products =
are=20
Z39.50 compliant are not very useful. <BR>The reason for this is that =
although a=20
product may conform to the<BR>ANSI/NISO Z39.50 standard there is no =
guarantee=20
the library gets a<BR>system that interacts well with other Z39.50=20
implementations.&nbsp; Because<BR>of the options and choices available in =
the=20
standard, two vendors can<BR>develop Z39.50 products conformant to the =
standard=20
but those two<BR>products don't give the performance a library had=20
anticipated.<BR><BR>Work in the past two years on Z39.50 profiles point a =
way to=20
resolving<BR>some of the problems of systems interoperating.&nbsp; A =
profile is=20
a<BR>technical document that states explicitly what choices and options=20
from<BR>the standard a Z39.50 client and Z39.50 server must support.&nbsp;=
=20
In<BR>developing a profile, we start with what the functional=20
requirements<BR>are, for example, what searches do you want to do.&nbsp; =
Once=20
the<BR>requirements are defined, we then identify the Z39.50 specifications=
=20
to<BR>support those requirements.&nbsp; Those technical details can assist =
you=20
in<BR>developing your RFPs and discussing configuration of Z-clients=20
and<BR>Z-servers with your technical folks.<BR><BR>For information =
about=20
profiles, you might want to check out the<BR>following:<BR><BR>1.&nbsp; =
The Bath=20
Profile: An International Specification for Library<BR>Applications and =
Resource=20
Discovery.&nbsp; You can find information about<BR>this at the Bath =
Profile=20
Maintenance Agency:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/bath/bath-e.htm&nbsp;">http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/=
bath/bath-e.htm&nbsp;</A>=20
This profile is being widely<BR>adopted and will provide a foundation =
for=20
improved Z39.50<BR>interoperability for cross-catalog searching, exchanging=
=20
holdings<BR>information, etc.&nbsp; Many of the vendors are becoming aware =
of=20
this<BR>profile and many are working on their products to bring them=20
into<BR>conformance with the profile.<BR><BR>2.&nbsp; The U.S. National =
Z39.50=20
Profile for Library Applications.&nbsp; This<BR>effort is occurring under =
the=20
auspices of the National Information<BR>Standards Organization (NISO).&nbsp=
;=20
This profile builds upon the core<BR>specifications in the Bath Profile.&nb=
sp; I=20
am chair of this standards<BR>committee.&nbsp; For information about =
this=20
effort, we have established a<BR>website that contains the committee's =
minutes=20
of meetings, draft<BR>specifications, etc.&nbsp; There is also a listserv =
for=20
committee<BR>deliberations, but it is public and you can subscribe to it =
as=20
well. <BR>The website is:&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://www.unt.edu/zprofile/index.html">http://www.unt.edu/zprofile=
/index.html</A><BR><BR>3.&nbsp;=20
The Z Texas Profile.&nbsp; This effort started two years ago in response<BR=
>to=20
the need to improve Z39.50 use in Texas libraries.&nbsp; The=20
resulting<BR>profile and information about the project is at:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/projects/z3950/">http://www.tsl.state=
.tx.us/ld/projects/z3950/</A><BR><BR>4.&nbsp;=20
The University of North Texas, School of Library and Information<BR>Science=
s,=20
received a National Leadership Grant from the Institute of<BR>Museum and =
Library=20
Services to help improve interoperability.&nbsp; We are<BR>establishing =
an=20
interoperability testbed where vendors and consumers can<BR>come to =
assess=20
levels of interoperability between Z39.50 clients and<BR>Z39.50 servers.&nb=
sp;=20
This project is just getting underway, and the first<BR>phase of testing =
will=20
occur in late Summer 2001.&nbsp; We will use profile<BR>specifications as =
the=20
base configuration for the testbed, and thus,<BR>we'll have a way to =
assess=20
conformance to the profiles.&nbsp; This is doable<BR>while assessing =
conformance=20
to the Z39.50 standard is not as effective. <BR>For information about =
the=20
testbed, go to: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.unt.edu/zinterop/">http://www.unt.edu/zinterop/</A><BR><=
BR>One=20
last thing that is really important to understand.&nbsp; Searching=20
and<BR>retrieving information across different library systems and =
their=20
online<BR>catalogs is complex.&nbsp; Z39.50 is a strategic tool to =
provide=20
the<BR>capability for such search and retrieval.&nbsp; The profiles help =
bring=20
a<BR>measure of commonality among the Z39.50 implementations.&nbsp; =
HOWEVER,=20
there<BR>are other aspects outside of Z39.50 that will ultimately =
affect=20
the<BR>quality of search and retrieval.&nbsp; Local indexing decisions =
and=20
practices<BR>and the search functionality of a local system can have a =
major=20
effect<BR>on the quality of interoperability between systems.&nbsp; =
Although=20
the<BR>profiles address the Z39.50 configuration and specifications, we=20
are<BR>well aware that indexing practices and system functionality need =
to=20
be<BR>addressed as well.&nbsp; In Texas, we have started to address the=20
indexing<BR>issues, and you can find a set of preliminary documents about =
this=20
at:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.unt.edu/wmoen/Z3950/MARC21Indexing/Z3950MARCIndexing.htm=
">http://www.unt.edu/wmoen/Z3950/MARC21Indexing/Z3950MARCIndexing.htm</A><B=
R><BR>Also,=20
I have several presentations available online that address the<BR>topic =
of=20
profiles.&nbsp; You can find them at:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.unt.edu/wmoen/presentations.htm">http://www.unt.edu/wmoe=
n/presentations.htm</A><BR><BR>One=20
that I recently did at ALA Midwinter is:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.unt.edu/wmoen/presentations/NISOOpenForumJan2001.htm">ht=
tp://www.unt.edu/wmoen/presentations/NISOOpenForumJan2001.htm</A><BR><BR><B=
R>I=20
hope this helps and doesn't overwhelm!&nbsp; Networked information<BR>retri=
eval=20
is not a simple challenge, but the library community has<BR>certainly led =
the=20
way in identifying problems and solutions.&nbsp; The Z39.50<BR>standard =
and=20
associated profiles can assist in providing new levels of<BR>service to =
our=20
users.&nbsp; <BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Bill Moen<BR>Assistant Professor<BR>Univers=
ity=20
of North Texas<BR>School of Library and Information Sciences<BR></FONT></DI=

<DIV><FONT size=3D1>Original posting:</DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT size=3D1>&#8212;---------------------<BR>&gt; From: PAT =
HINCKLEY=20
&lt;phinckley@3-cities.com&gt;<BR>&gt; Date:&nbsp; Wednesday - January 31, =
2001=20
11:58 PM<BR>&gt; Subject:&nbsp; TECH: What is a Z39.50 compliant=20
server?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Someone in the audience at Peter Milbury's =
Portland, OR,=20
Internet workshop<BR>&gt; explained that any of us thinking of upgrading =
a=20
server should be certain it is<BR>&gt; Z39.50 compliant.&nbsp; This =
evidently=20
allows a high degree of interconnectivity with <BR>&gt; other compliant =
servers,=20
hence libraries can share data.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Our network analyst, who =
I=20
assumed would know all about this, didn't. But <BR>&gt; she would like to =
know=20
more. Does anyone here know some specifics on this, <BR>&gt; or where I =
might=20
look to find out?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Carol Simpson, Ed.D.<BR>Asst. Professor - School of Library &amp;=20
Information Sciences<BR>University of North Texas<BR>PO Box 311068<BR>Dento=
n, TX=20
76203<BR>940-565-3776 (voice)<BR>940-565-3101 (fax)<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:csimpson@lis.admin.unt.edu">csimpson@lis.admin.unt.edu</A></=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_A2F9EC47.10717C40--