Greetings,
        I had about 20 responses to my concern over a particular ad in
Seventeen magazine.  No one approved of this type of ad and all the
respondents voiced concern over the type of marketing approach and
techniques that are aimed at this market.  I have grades 8-12 which make it
difficult at times to determine what is appropriate, but in this case I
don't feel this particular ad should even be viewed by seniors.  This is
where you go to your selection policies for guidance.  I removed the ad with
this justification: it did not pertain to the curriculum and was not
appropriate for the level of instruction.  It also does not stimulate growth
of ethical standards and does not help students make intelligent judgements
in their daily life.

        Now I had defended Seventeen because of the many articles it
contained that were factual, well-written and fostered critical thinking and
ethical development in spite of all the frivolous, innane material.  This
particular issue was no exception.  It also had articles on the following
topics: girls in the national guard who went to Bosnia, a girl's day on a
Vermont dairy farm, how to avoid vacation scams, an anti-smokikng ad, the
regular column on sexual questions, affirmative action, Napster, how to
create a scrapbook of personal and family memories, harassment, music stars
who do community service, an interesting piece of fiction and a feature
article on stalking.  Teen girls are not going to read about these topics in
Time, Newsweek and Atlantic Monthly.

        I almost seems like the editorial board suffers from schizophrenia
or it doesn't want to exercise any authority over the advertising
department.  I took a quick look at the latest issues of Teen and YM.  The
advertising wasn't nearly as provocative and they also had very little
writing of consequence either.

        I decided to look at the respective websites.  Seventeen shot itself
in the foot again.  One of the lead stories was "Beach Boob", how a girl had
her top fall down unexpectedly at the beach.  Give me a break!  Is this how
were going to convince teen girls to spend more time developing their minds
rather than their wardrobe?  Is this the way to overcome sexual stereotypes?
I guess Seventeen is worried about getting the Gloria Steinem award any time
soon.

        I would suggest two things.  Anyone who feels the way I do should
write a letter to Seventeen.  A multitude of letters from a variety of
perspectives goes a long way.  I would also propose to draft a letter myself
from those of us in school librarianship.  I'll post this on the list and
anyone who wants to join the cause can add their name and address to the
letter.  Let me know what you think.

Ed Nizalowski, SMS
Newark Valley High School
Newark Valley, NY  13811