Thirty years ago, I too inherited a library that still used Cutter numbers.
I am still using Cutter numbers, partly because I could never figure out a
practical and reasonable way to make a changeover.  But also, it works well.
It keeps the books on the shelves in order and easily retrieved.  Most
students never figure out what the Cutter numbers represent, but it doesn't
hinder their finding what they need.  It makes for an easy transition to the
LC numbers many will encounter in college. My biggest complaint is that I
can't buy books fully processed because my jobber (Follett) does not offer
that processing option. I would be interested in knowing what the practical
options are.

I do belong to a school-public library union catalog; ours is the only
library using Cutter numbers.  It makes no difference because the item
record in our system allows us to attach individual holdings as unique
items. And with TLC (Texas Library Connection) union catalog, the same is
true.

Jonnie Sneed Jordan
A. C. Jones High School Librarian
Beeville, Texas