We had a similar situation with our camera caused by poorly formatted
floppy disks. The disks were supposed to be pre-formatted but were not
working correctly. When we reformatted the disks, the camera worked just
fine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do you hear it saving to disk after you take a picture?  Ours makes a noise.
Is the battery low? - try recharging.  Make sure the disk is in correctly -
it should be set in the drive correctly.  Make sure the disk drive door is
tightly closed.
That's all I can think of.  If all else fails call the company.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
When opening a file using whatever software, for instance MS Word, be
sure that in the "Open" dialog box you select under "Files of Type"
(near bottom left corner of the dialog box) "All files" then everything
on the disk will be displayed.  Also, under "Look In" be sure the "3 1/2
floppy A drive" is selected too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you tried looking at the disk in several computers?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out: www.mavican.nu
You will find lots of useful information and helpful folk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check your automatic/manual settings on the side of the camera.  that
happened to us too a few months ago.  Pushing in the button on the front
of the camera more than once while taking the picture can also result in
no picture.  Once in a while we have problems opening a picture with
Word, but PowerPoint works for that picture--don't know why.  Word works
most of the time.  Haven't had time to explore other programs to import
as yet.  Hope this helps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At my last school we had a digital camera, and I used it only a couple of
times, but found that if I took only a few pictures at a time (5-7) and
downloaded those, I could view them.  Otherwise, the disk was too full and
it wouldn't let me view the photos.  I'm not sure if this is the problem
your having, but it might help.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Try to format the disk while it is in the camera.
2. Be sure the program you are running is looking for a JPEG file.(When you
access the open comand be sure the file type the computer is reading is a
JPEG and not Bitmap, or gif.
3. Be sure the format on the disk is the same that the computer is reading.
4. Check the battery in the camera, not the rechargeable one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This may sound simple...but make certain that you have formatted the disk in
your camera.  Look under the menu options.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We first open up Photo Studio or Microsoft Photo Editor and then open the
 floppy.
You can get help... go to the Sony web page.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Are you using PC formatted disks?  Mac will not work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When you take the picture does the screen display the message "recording".
When we first got ours, I wasn't pushing the button hard enough and long
enough and I thought I was getting pictures but I wasn't.  Now I look for
the "recording" message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When you open the A-drive you can choose what kinds of files you want to be
able to see.  This way you can hide important or unnecessary files.  Go up
to the VIEW menu and click on OPTIONS.  This will give you a tab that also
says view.  Choose that tab and then click on the button that says "show all
files".  This happens to me all of the time.  Seems my computer has a mind
of it's own about what it wants me to see!  I hope this is helpful.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have a Mavica, too, but our problem is that it seems to be really hard
on disks.  We seem to be able to use ours only once or twice.  Have you
had this problem????
Do you have Macs?  We have Macs and At Ease.  You have to have JPEGViewer
installed on your machine--or some other program that will "read" JPEG.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kathy ~ only thing i can think of at the moment is possibly the disks have
not been formatted.  our campus book store sells disks which are not
(because, they say, the students don't always know enough to ask for  ibm
compatible or macintosh formats...seems the staff could maybe be trained to
actually *ask*, but no!).  i know it sounds too simple, but once in a great
while technical problems actually are!  good luck to you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm not sure if this sounds too easy, but when we can't find something on the
disk that we saved, it's usually found under a different file type.  What
kind of computer do you have?  Have you tried viewing the disk under all the
different file types under the A: drive?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you formatted your disk before you use it.  The camera has a menu for
that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you tried looking at the disk in several computers?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When opening a file using whatever software, for instance MS Word, be
sure that in the "Open" dialog box you select under "Files of Type"
(near bottom left corner of the dialog box) "All files" then everything
on the disk will be displayed.  Also, under "Look In" be sure the "3 1/2
floppy A drive" is selected too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The same type of thing happened with our digital camera (Kodac DC40).
After downloading the pictures, nothing shows up when the "picture" is
opened. We discovered by accident that although we can't view the
pictures at 100%, we can see them at 200% or larger. With ours, we just
click on the blank picture and it makes it larger. A technician
speculated that the problem is with the program and suggested I reload
it. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You did not mention whether you were using a Macintosh or a PC computer
but I will share this experience with the Macintosh.  On some computers
that I have used with the Sony Mavica disks I have initially gotten what
appears to be a blank disk.  If I close the disk back up and wait a minute
or two and then open the disk again I have found that the images show up.
Sometimes it might take a minute or so to appear depending on the number
of images on the disk and I think also on the computer you are  using.
Different models, operating systems and CPU speeds all seem to have a
effect on how quickly it loads.  You might also want to close the disk and
eject it and then insert it again to be sure that the computer is
processing the disk.  Just remember that it might not appear instantly.

Hope this helps and that your pictures turned out fine.  If you are using
a Macintosh computer you also need to be using a Power Macintosh as the
disk that you use in the Mavica is PC formatted.  Also if you are using it
on a Macintosh there is a program called Pictacular that is great for
showing your pictures with a variety of special effects.  If  I can be off
further help just let me know.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One of the easiest ways to open your photo files is by using Microsoft
Word. This also helps with a copy right problem too. (When you pruchase
your camera it comes with single user software yet the cameras are
frequently used by many in one building not wanting to come to a central
location to access that software.)Here's how.
Open Word
Click insert, picture, from file
Select the "a" drive, select the picture file, open
There she be! Now you can resize, crop etc. as needed.
This is the quickest way to insert those photos into a classroom
newsletter etc.
I had that problem on one disk...lost some cute pictures too! Have you
tested on another disk? I haven't had the problem since, but I can
assure you at least you are not hallucinating the problem! (p.s. if
someone has an answer, please post it)