Before Winter break I requested information about vendors going to intern=
et
and abandoning cdroms. Since I had only two
winter break. I am posting the two responses, along with my original
response (last).  I would welcome any futher responses and will post a hi=
if there are more.

Perhaps someone could also explain from the vendors point of view.

I thoroughly agree that it can be a problem not to have CD-ROM "back-up"
for
online programs.  I am about to write to Ebsco to request that they
continue
to send me the monthly CD-ROMs.  Our Internet access is so slow that it
would take three times as long just to show students how to use a program=
,
much less for them to access it and then try to research anything.

Related to the subject raised by Deborah Stafford on whether or not
vendor's should discontinue CD-ROM products in favor of on-line
subscriptions is the question of whether or not we can get the CDs to
function properly. I totally agree that it is best not to put all your
eggs in one basket and to have both on-line resources and CDs, but two
recent orders that left me very disappointed and frustrated make me also
wary of CD products.

Original post
In the past I have subscribed to a CD-ROM focused on Social Studies. The
program fit our needs, the teachers and students liked it. The program ru=
ns
on our network. Last week I found out that the program is no longer
available on CD-ROM and can only be purchased as an on-line subscription.=
then went to another vendor thinking I would then purchase a different
product only to find that one also is no longer available in CD-rom.

For several reasons I  much prefer the CD-ROM. Our Internet connection is=

slow and getting slower as more applications are routed through it and we=
sites are adding more bells and whistles. Going with CD-ROM takes some of=

the traffic off the Internet. I also wonder if we are doing students a
favor by making all information come off NETSCAPE and Internet explorer. =
like giving my students a variety of interfaces so they learn to look at
the screen (or book) and think about their search. Thirdly, with the CD-R=
OM
(or book) I have the resource on hand. If our network is down, I can run
the older versions on stand aloes. If the Internet is down, the CD-ROMs
still work on the network. If my budget gets cut or products increase in
price beyond our means, I still have theCD-ROM to use until I can update.=

I am hoping that others feel this way and that we can convince the vendor=
to continue offeringCD-ROM as a choice. In the case of my first
subscription. I would sacrifice the immediate updates. Often I want the
service not for the immediate updates but for the archives.

If you agree (or disagree) please reply. I will compile a hit.

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany
now proudly on the web at http://www.wies-hs.odedodea.edu