Here are the more complete comments and suggestions from your colleagues.

My new principal (who can sell ice to the Eskimos) gave everyone on the
staff an afternoon or morning off during the month of December. How she
conned the administration into this is anyone's guess but talk about a pick
me up! We had a 10 day window to take advantage of this. Her only
stipulations were no subs could be used, so everyone was in charge of
finding someone to keep their kids/cover their duties I gathered up lots of
markers by offering extra extended library time! Other teachers split their
classes, or shared with someone else. We had all sort of creative
scheduling. Not only did it thrill everyone but it promoted lots of
communication and wheeling and dealing among the staff.

I am lucky to have a school that has high l morale this year.......Last year
I worked at a dungeon, so believe me it's a great thing. CARE about each
other -if someone is having a bad day , listen to them as they blow off
steam....can you do something for them - keep aproblem student even for a
little while for a break ?, bring them a cup of coffee ? Just LISTEN to
their problems . We spend so much time at work, try to find HUMOR to boost
their spirit. Get the leadership to try to bolster morale with positive
reinforcement on how things re going. Think of ways to make their teaching
meaningful or easier -a movie ,a tv program or great website can do it . Try
to be a friend even if they are not your favorites -

I've always entered a lot of radio contests. One of our stations used to do
drawings for meals at two nice local restaurants so I sent in everybody's
name. Over the course of the year, about half the faculty got a surprize
dinner out. Once I really got lucky and won a catered bbq dinner for 50! We
used that on one of the inservice days at the beginning of the school year.
Our faculty is small enough that we were able to have even the support staff
plus invite some central office people and our local school board
representative. The same restaurant still sponsors that promotion during the
summer months, so we all enter hoping to win again. We haven't been that
lucky, but it's something we do together. It has been a long-standing
tradition at our school to have covered dish meals the week before Christmas
break begins. We divide the faculty into groups and each group decides its
own menu.I organize a continental breakfast on one or two inservice days a
year. Our new bookkeeper puts seasonal decorations in the teachers' dining
area. The Outreach teacher organizes halloween, Christmas and end-of-school
parties with her students and invites the entire faculty to eat with them.
Last year our new principal treated all of us to Christmas night out at La
Caretta's. This year we went Dutch treat to Barter Theater in Abington.
About half of us decided to meet at an Abingdon restaurant to have supper
before the play.The last two years we have been participating in grant
projects to earn money for technology at the school. I feel this has brought
us together by working for a common goal. Results of our efforts are seen
throughout the school: a 28-computer lab; a new Dell computer for each
teacher on staff; laser printers; several 32-inch tv's with averkey
connections; an electronic keyboard for the choral dept.We keep a staff
"flower fund" and acknowledge sickness and bereavement. We also have showers
for weddings and first babies. The men don't always participate in those,
but the ladies enjoy them.
We keep the morale up ourselves. One of the teachers has a faculty
get-together for everything--- columbus day, thanksgiving, pearl harbor day,
you name it. He puts a flyer in the mailboxes to meet after school at a bar
near school. We also go out when somoene gets tenure (I recently had me
tenure tequila shot). At Christmas and in May we have a faculty all you can
eat and drink party at a local establishment. All staff is invited and it is
a great time. We try to keep the morale up ourselves.

Several years ago, a colleague and I formed the SPCFF--Strategic Planning
Committee For Fun. We host faculty get-togethers at school--sometimes in
conjunction with faculty meetings, and lots of times not--especially when we
sense attitudes are "heading south." We coordinate the "Secret Santa" gift
exchanges, host the introduction of new teachers to the staff and recognize
retirings and the contributions of those who are moving on to another
district. The SPCFF has definitely become a part of our middle school
climate. I'm looking forward to seeing your hit on this topic!
My principal places short notes in our mailboxes when she notices something
she likes while stopping by our rooms. She'll also thank us informally, in
writing, for working on some committee or project. It makes us all feel
noticed - and great!

We have a new principal (he's in his second year here) and he's done wonders
for us, even though there are lots of new initiatives and our every-ten-year
NEASC evaluation coming up. Just having him here does wonders for morale!
Here are a few of the things we do that help.--food at every faculty meeting
(nothing fancy) and breakfast—even lunch sometimes--at in-service--the
monthly ABCD (Above and Beyond the Call of Duty) award to a
teacher.--letters in your personnel file for things like attending dances,
student presentations, anything that shows interest in what our kids
do--staff-initiated activities around wellness--mental as well as
physical--such as golf outings and the annual holiday "shopping trip", which
is actually dinner at a pub and MAYBE even pool afterwards...--our state
sponsors a "Path to Wellness" contest during the winter, which is loads of
fun. About 20%of our staff participate.--we have staff parties to start out
the year, at the holidays, and to honor retirees at the end of the year--we
women have a group which meets sporadically on Friday afternoons. It's been
wonderful for us. Started as support for those women--most of us--who were
tired of being second class (this situation has improved with the new
principal) but now is for support in everything: health issues, child and
aging parent issues, and anything else that we need emotional support or
advice on.--our parent/teacher group is wonderful on teacher appreciation
day in May, I think it is. We get food in the office for the week, a flower
for our lapel, certificates of appreciation--our student senate sends thank
you's for helping out at their events But, is there anything better than a
note from a student thanking you for help, or a smile of real affection from
a seventh grader? I know my principal would love to see a list of what you
come up with. Heis so very aware of the stresses of our jobs and appreciates
us every day. And tries his best to tell us so.
At one high school where I worked , we had some fun fortnightly awards for
presentation at a staff morning tea each pay week Friday. We got to watch
each other for the human errors that make Readers' Digest type humour pages,
and tried not to be cruel (there was a convenor for the adjudication). The
award had a name - at a friend's school, it was called the golden pig, and
they had a small trophy and honour board, for the annual award. At my school
it was called the pedagogy award, with annual awards in categorie akin to
the People's Choice or Emmies etc. These categories could be flexible,
according to the nature of error or humourous incident.As well , there are
the secret Santas for a small encourager each day or week, people drawn by
lot, selecting a suitable gift from an interests' profile that is completed
by each entrant. I have seen the difference this makes in anticipation of
the day, through shopping and receiving. Given the access to certificate
software these days, there is always the spontaneous recognition at meetings
or elsewhere, for the basic acts of kindness and inspiration we all need
regardless of the time of year.........

Rena Deutsch
High School for the Humanities
New York, NY 10011