Here are the second and last set of comments.

I think one thing that helps a lot is that our principal is so supportive.
At every staff meeting he tells us what a great job we're doing, and any
time someone has done something special, he lets everyone know.We just last
night had our staff Christmas get together at a dinner theatre...and
tomorrow morning we will have our Christmas breakfast and gift exchange.
oh...on conference day the principal cooks dinner for all of us! the PTA
sends around little gifts to all the teachers two or three times a year. The
parents are wonderful...those who are involved become our friends, and I
always look forward to my book fair because so many of them come to help and
we have a great time. As you can tell, I love where I work!!

We make sure important occasions get announced to faculty/staff and to the
person's union officers--birthdays, anniversaries, deaths, etc. One
Principal had "Celebrations" certificates at monthly staff meetings to
commemorate special accomplishments--staff also gave round of applause.
Special food in teachers' lounge on a "nothing" occasion is a real
perk--little treats in teachers' mailboxes,a special note, etc., too.
Personal contact, also,--one person supporting/encouraging others can
sometimes grow.
This time of year and in the spring, we do a "secret pal" exchange. Those
who wish to participate do. Inexpensive gifts, baked goods, poems etc. are
secretly left in each others school mailboxes. Then on a designated day,
there is a party to celebrate friendships, get better acquainted, and reveal
the secret pals.

Since we have school right up through Dec. 22, several of us met last week
to plan some fun things for the last week. One day we are all going to wear
"reindeer" antlers (the little headband things), one day is snowman day
(wear snowman sweatshirts, etc.). We are planning to have sign-ups for
classes to go Christmas caroling around our school neighborhood and then
come back for hot chocolate. Also do some class pair-ups where 6th grade and
first grades will get together to read,write, etc. We are a K-6 building and
our teachers are receptive to this kind of stuff--we have good morale
anyway, but having to go toDec. 22 is really pushing it! We hope these fun
things will help usget through the week!

I was at a school a couple of years ago where the principal who had been
there for a number of years moved on, and a new one came in. We had great
staff morale with the first principal, and the morale died when the new
principal came on board. The new principal eliminated a lot of school
traditions, requested changes of in-house policies, walked all over people,
never listened to anyone's ideas (even after asking for them), had no people
skills at all (for example, our librarian's mother was in the hospital for a
week, and then died. The principal never called the librarian to see how
things were going or to offer condolences afterward.)In the two years that
she has been in the school, I'd say 90% of the staff that had been there
left. So, the number one thing you have to find out is: Who or what is
breaking down morale? Only then can you come up with a solution. If it is
the administration, is/are he/she/they open to suggestions, criticism,
commendations? If not, then you will have a situation of we (or is it us?)
against them. If the morale problem is caused by burn-out because of
overloaded schedules or expectations, you have a different kind of problem.
At every school I've been at, we have asocial committee. They keep a
birthday list, take care of arrangingholiday parties, baby and bridal
showers, send get well cards and flower sto sick staff members, arrange
secret pals (this was a really good one for the whole school year). Another
good idea is to arrange for special eats at any time where something extra
is expected of staff--after school staff meetings, 1/2 day workshops or
report card prep, during state or county testing. We have done salad bars
(everyone bringing someone from a sign-up sheet), chipped in for pizza or
subs, and so on. Staff  recognition is a good idea too. Do you have an
energetic and involved PTA? At one school the PTA hospitality committee took
care of refreshments for all our staff meetings, 2 lunches and 2 breakfasts
during the school year. That was great! I have learned, after working in
several schools, that staff morale is one of the most important keys to
having a TEAM of efficient and happy staff. Just as in any other business,
if the employer can keep the employees happy and comfortable in their
environment (within reason of course), the output of work will be of better
quality and probably quantity.......
Two things come to mind. First of all we have a breakfast before school on
paydays (every other Friday). Responsibility for the breakfast is rotated
among departments and some of the smaller departments are grouped together.
Second - We have a voluntary Secret Frosties (politically correct!). Sign up
by filling out a likes/dislikes form, pick a name out of the hat, give a
minimum of 2 small gifts during the 2 weeks before vacation and then the
last day give a more major gift. It's fun, fairly easy (cookies in the
mailbox, candy on the desk, etc.) and perks things up. This is especially
true this year as faculty had only one day off from the beginning of school
until Thanksgiving and most of us are really running on empty.
Here at Skyline we have infrequent faculty meetings. In other words, we meet
only when there is a need to meet. If it can be handled with a memo, we get
a memo and don't have a meeting. We have Secret Pals who send us fun stuff
once a month, on our birthday, and on our anniversary (for those who are
married). At the end of the year we find out who has been so nice to us all
year long. Goodies show up in the teacher's lounge once in a while, whenever
someone wants to share or just thinks we need a treat. These are usually,
but not always, provided by the principal. Finally, we don't take ourselves
too seriously. You will hear a lot of laughter here at Skyline.

I think staff morale is a two-fold situation. I believe that the
administration plays a large part of how the staff feels about the work they
do; however, I also believe that the staff should provide some positive
strokes toward their professional peers. Having been associated with a group
that basically tore itself apart due to lack of respect for one another or
the work that each person did, I can say that if some of the positive
strokes don't come from the top down, then it takes a large group of
positive people to make it work from the bottom up. I worked for ten years
with a group that was completely divided among itself. There was fighting,
arguing, complaining, and basically poor professionalism from the top down
and throughout the entire professional organization. Because we were an
isolated group, it didn't take long before we were almost like some type of
dysfunctional family. We had seminars that were supposed to provide us with
"morale boosts" but the persons who could have started the transition
(administrators) were never present at these programs. Needless to say,
there weren't any positive outcomes. We definitely had some "spark" for a
while--for those who could be "sparked"--but the remaining pessimists we
continually driving the rest of us insane with their continual bickering. I
am almost happy to say that I am no longer with that group. I miss my job,
the children, and the opportunities that I had to help in the are as that I
worked in, but I don't miss the people who wanted to spend their lives
complaining about things that they thought weren't working for them .My
advice is, if people don't want to change, no amount of programming is going
to make them change. I hope that your administration is strong, motivated,
and willing to make changes--including pointing out to those who "won't
promote good professional outlook and behavior" that their days are
numbered. I felt that if our administration had put his / her foot down and
made some positive moves to make us feel appreciated and worthwhile, then we
would have had more of a positive outlook toward our jobs. Because he / she
was unable to be strong, the majority of pessimists controlled the entire
work climate (and still does).I am happy to now be a part of a more
optimistic, more team-building atmosphere. The difference in outlook is
amazing! We have programs that promote our "ambassador" behavior. This means
that we promote our university and one another by being the "first
impression" to people who see us or our campus for the first time. We have
smiling faces, wonderful team-builders who give positive feedback when we do
things well, and gentle-reminders of how to do things better when we fall.
Although there are those who naturally are "soured" among the grapes, I find
that the majority of people who want to succeed professionally in our
university will side-step those who just want to gripe about the world,
period. This makes it easier to know which path to take and how to get
around those who tear-down your dreams  .I have personally had the
opportunity to take courses offered by Fred Pryor  Seminars (they are online
also). Although the majority of their programs are based around "business,"
I feel that they offer many practical "real life" solutions to working with
people in general. The cost is relatively small when compared to some
programs that offer quick solutions to problems but nothing to take with
you. I often purchase additional "motivating" materials while I attend, just
to keep me motivated in areas that I find difficult to manage I 'd like to
hear what other schools are doing

The morale at my school is pretty good and some things the administration
and PTA do are constant pats on the back, PTA gave us $100 each at the
beginning of the year to buy supplies, PTA gives monthly gifts (they have a
drawing and the gifts are very nice, usually $20-50). I've also worked at
some schools that had morale and attendance problems (among teachers) so
here are a couple more ideas that seemed to help: one assistant principal
would put little notes in our boxes every once in awhile, you never knew
when they were coming but she always seemed to pick a much-needed time to
distribute them, she would print out little notes on card stock with cute
little sayings that related to a name of a candy bar and then would attach a
little candy bar with the note and put in everyone's box, for
example.......Our teachers are out of this world! with a Milky Way attached,
You are worth a hundred grand! with a Hundred Grand attached, You deserve an
extra Payday! with a payday attached, etc. You get the idea. At another
school, they would put our names into a drawing to help boost attendance
rates. For every week that you had perfect attendance, your name went in the
drawing. We did the drawing at the end of the 6 week grading period so your
name could be in there 6 times if you never were absent. At the end of each
6 weeks, they would draw 3 names for $20 gift certificates to local
restaurants. I think the school bought some and some were donated.
When I heard gripping and grumbling around the school, I started a jar of
candy secretly put on a teachers desk with a card that said, "I think you
are very special. Take some candy and pass along to someone else you
appreciate." It's been fun watching people try to figure out who put
itthere. We also celebrate special days, like Chocolate day where I put
chocolate in everyone's box.
Every month at our faculty meeting the principal recognizes one or more
teachers who have been going above and beyond the call of duty by giving
them a school sweatshirt, or hat, etc. It seems like a small thing but it
feels great to be recognized in front of your peers.

We have a social committee that serves snacks before every faculty meeting,
as well as sending cards, flowers for death, major illness, etc. Everyone
contributes to the fund for this committee annually. They also arrange a
party (off school property) 1-2 times a year for faculty/staff that usually
includes drinks/dinner, one of which is at the end of the year and includes
awards for funny happenings during the year and mild roasts of new teachers
so we all get to know them. When these events began to be poorly attended a
few years ago, they did a survey to find out what people wanted/would
attend, then the principal urged all to attend the revitalized events. At
every faculty meeting there is a "lug nut award" (for keeping things
together?) given to a teacher who has done something really
unusual/funny/heroic, etc. The first one was given by the Asst. Principal,
succeeding ones are given by the immediate past recipient. The award (a
small trophy-like thing) is passed on for each award. Members of the social
committee designate a night periodically (3-4 times per year, often at a
difficult time) as "Casey's Night," publicize it through the building, and
invite any faculty/staff who are interested to meet for a get-together at
Casey's (or wherever--different places each time). The place has to be big
enough to accommodate this sort of event with an unknown number in
attendance. They try to do a variety of things to include people with all
different life styles--those that have children, those that are single, etc.
Departments have social events of their own too. We have student vs. staff
games periodically that are fun for those who participate I hear. There are
other things too, but this is what I can think of right now. I used to think
these kinds of things were just frivolous, but I have come to recognize the
importance of making specific efforts to keep morale good. It is important
that your administrators recognize this too!
Rena, Our principal offers door prizes at faculty meetings, allows us to
recognize each other, and gives "Leave early slips" for being on time at
meetings. Just a few of the ways she recognizes her staff and rewards them
for a job well done.

I am currently planning a "chase the winter doldrums" social for our
faculty., It will be in early Feb. I plan to use lots of candles, serve part
y food and hope everyone will mellow out.
Just a small list of things done at our school:1) each grade level picks a
month and one time during that month they provide some snazzy refreshments
for the entire staff.2) We have done secret pals and secret santa.3) the
librarian celebrates "Pig Day" and gives out pig prizes (but they have to
come to the library to see if they have won. She puts a number in their box
and they come check the Pig Cart. She has had things like Pork Rinds, Pig
books, Porcelain pigs, Pig puzzles, you name it.4) We earn "leave early
passes" (good for 3:20) these are usually for attending PTAs or helping out
with various things.5) The coolest thing we do is "APPLES FOR MENTOR" which
are notes you write about other faculty members either complementing them or
thanking them. At the end of the month the people with the most apples (they
have a winner for support staff, primary and middle) get the three closest
parking spaces at the school. Plus a pat on the back. We love this.6) We
receive other type of coupons such as "do not have to turn in lesson plans
this week" and so on (these are rare however).7) This week a former
principal is coming in to read to all the classes, each teacher will have 30
minutes to go and catch up on any work necessary.

Before I was a librarian I was an assistant principal in two different
elementary schools...one with high staff morale and one with low, lowmorale.
While working at the one with low morale one day I noticed a sticker that
had the initials P O P S (Power Of Positive Students). That jump started a
"movement" that went on long after I was gone, Power of Positive Staff. I
kept a stash of Tootsie Roll Pops in my office and at every staff meeting I
would "pop" someone (or more than one). It really wasn't hard to find
wonderful things to say about staff members who were helping students,
parents or other staff members. It didn't have to be huge just genuinely
appreciated. I did keep a list for my own tabulation to remind me to look
for the good in every teacher even the ones that were harder to like. I
didn't know how it would go over. I figured some would think it silly but I
knew this was going to be a hit when I had teachers coming up asking if they
could "pop" someone. Maybe it was just that particular building but it
really did lift some spirits. Now, we needed a whole lot more than just
tootsie roll pops to change a culture but that was a beginning of looking
for the good in others so we could be proud of what we were all doing as a
team. The biggest problem was having enough pops because what others didn't
use I would eat in between meetings. It sorta took on a life of its own
which I thought was good. It didn't have to be administrator directed.
Another quick pick me up came from the principal's desk. She had a calendar
with quotations for each day. When one quote reminded her ofone of her staff
members she would tear off the sheet, jot a short personal note such as
"this reminds me of you", sign her name and put itin the person's box. I
still have mine in my keepsake box and jus t think...she didn't have to look
up the quotes. She just came across them on the daily calendar........

Rena Deutsch
High School for the Humanities
New York, NY 10011
renadeutsch@worldnet.att.net