My query was #1 What do Brits call underwear #2 What makes the brand so
special?
The Marks and Spencer brand is supposed to be wonderful.
My thanks to the members who enlighted me.  Since the underwear is not
available online, I guess M&S wants us to come to London!
Here are the responses, since others expressed "inquiring minds" also.
:)
(look how LMNet expands our knowledge!)

This is very odd. I just spent time looking at the Web site and you're
right, there's no men's underwear. My husband, who always buys
some when
we're home in England, would not believe me. So he looked. It's not
there.  You'd better tell your friends to pick some up from a
brick-and-mortar store for you. (I did notice that the range of items
offered online is a
fraction of what would be available in an average M&S.)
Although I am American, I raised my family in the UK and am
recently returned after 12 years there.

I, too, am a big fan of M&S undies and miss them.

They are great because they are made of a good quality cotton.
Although they  come in a variety of styles and fashions, the ordinary
(unfussy) ones
are cut well, not too roomy or small. The cotton is nice and strong so
it
doesn't start to wear out after the first wash. The elastic stays put
and
doesn't wear out quickly. M&S underwear makes Fruit of the Loom
look like small potatoes!

The English call underwear "knickers" in slang or "pants." They think
it is really funny that Americans call "trousers" "pants."

Margaret Thatcher was a reputed fan of M&S underwear and the
royal family are said to be fans as well.

As for finding them online, the mens' underwear may only be available
from  the printed catalogue.
Hope this helps!
Hi, they call them pants or underpants.

Hmmmm, could I now say my husband must go without knickers???  :)

--
Mary Croix Ludwick   ludwick@swbell.net (home)
ludwickm@lisd.net(school)