 This brought a smile to my face:
" It was stated in the NPR piece that older students
laugh at misinformation that they recognize in some of
the books they read ("Someday a man may visit the moon" . . ."

My primary  volunteer job in our school media center is to weed the
collection. When I speak of it to non-library folk, especially other parents,
I always explain weeding by using the example of "one day, man will walk on
the moon," which always gets a chuckle -- but the listener immediately
understands.  It's a good shorthand explanation.

What never occurred to me was how this applies to teacher's classroom
collections.  My sixth-grade son came home a few weeks ago with a wonderful
old book on map making that his teacher had given him to read in preparation
for the science fair. And sure enough, there it was in black and white, at
the beginning of chapter 14 -- "One day soon, man will walk on the moon. . ."
-- as if to taunt me!

 I know it takes so much time and money to build a classroom collection, and
teachers may get attached to their own books, but have any of you had any
experience with communicating the benefits of weeding  to classroom teachers?
I'm sure many already do, but  others may need a reminder.

Jackie

Jacqueline Church
LMS certification grad program student (SCSU)
Also former univ. publications director and elementary tutor
wstwdmac@aol.com