------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C077F6.89F57940

Several years ago, some elementary librarians in Wichita, KS decided =
their collections needed weeding, but it was such a daunting task. No =
weeding had been done in them in many--30 years in some cases--years. We =
knew there would be opposition on many fronts--administration, teachers, =
parents--not students. We first researched and gathered information =
about why weeding is important and how to do it most effectively. Then =
we taught an inservice class after school in a volunteer library. No =
better way to learn than by doing. We had the librarian prepare the =
principal and staff using facts from our research. The group =
successfully weeded that library in an evening--and had a great time =
laughing at the books we found. We also got to visit with colleagues we =
rarely saw. It was such a good experience, we formed a weeding group =
that would meet at various libraries periodically after the groundwork =
had been laid for the job ahead. I can't even estimate how many liquor =
boxes we used to rid the system of old, dusty books. (Our district has a =
contract with a paper recycler so the boxes did not go to the dump--they =
come back to us as those wonderfully scratchy brown paper towels.) When =
several small elementaries in the district were closed, those =
collections were weeded and the remaining books dispersed to =
elementaries receiving those students. Those collections had to be =
weeded to accommodate the new books. Then, when we started to automate =
our circulation, the first libraries to be automated were the weeded =
ones. This stimulated other schools to weed so they could be automated =
also.

We saved some of the worst titles for our Shelf of Shame. We use them to =
explain to the administration and community why shelves are not as full. =
We also use them to ask for more money in budgets. Students never have a =
problem with the new look of the library. They often say, "I never =
thought there was anything to read in here. Now I can see the new =
books."

Weeding is a huge, dirty job. But, with some friends to help, you can =
get the work done and feel satisfied that your collection is more =
interesting and accessible to your students.

Linda Paul=20
Wichita High School North
Wichita, KS
toteach@kscable.com

------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C077F6.89F57940

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#b8b8b8>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Several years ago, some elementary =
librarians in=20
Wichita, KS decided their collections needed weeding, but it was such a =
daunting=20
task. No weeding had been done&nbsp;in them in many--30 years&nbsp;in =
some=20
cases--years. We knew there would be opposition on many =
fronts--administration,=20
teachers, parents--not students. We first researched and gathered =
information=20
about why weeding is important and how to do it most effectively. Then =
we taught=20
an inservice class after school in a volunteer library. No better way to =
learn=20
than by doing.&nbsp;We&nbsp;had the librarian&nbsp;prepare the principal =
and=20
staff using facts from our research.&nbsp;The group successfully weeded =
that=20
library in an evening--and had a great time laughing at the books we =
found. We=20
also got to visit with colleagues we rarely saw. It was such a good =
experience,=20
we formed a weeding group that would meet at various libraries =
periodically=20
after the groundwork had been laid for the job ahead. I can't even =
estimate how=20
many liquor boxes we used to rid the system of old, dusty books. (Our =
district=20
has a contract with a paper recycler so the boxes did not go to the =
dump--they=20
come back to us as those wonderfully scratchy brown paper towels.) When =
several=20
small elementaries in the district were closed, those collections were =
weeded=20
and the remaining books dispersed to elementaries receiving those =
students.=20
Those collections had to be weeded to accommodate the new books. Then, =
when we=20
started to automate our circulation, the first libraries to be automated =
were=20
the weeded ones. This stimulated other schools to weed so they could be=20
automated also.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We saved some of the worst titles for =
our Shelf of=20
Shame. We use them to explain to the administration and community why=20
shelves&nbsp;are not as full. We also use them to ask for more money in =
budgets.=20
Students never have a problem with the new look of the library. They =
often say,=20
"I never thought there was anything to read in here. Now I can see the =
new=20
books."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Weeding is a huge, dirty job. But, with =
some=20
friends to help, you can get the work done and feel satisfied that your=20
collection is more interesting and accessible to your =
students.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Linda Paul </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wichita High School North</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wichita, KS</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:toteach@kscable.com">toteach@kscable.com</A></FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C077F6.89F57940--