In the discussions of 4x4 scheduling I have not seen many ideas about what is being
done to try covering all new students for orientation in the media centers. Since
there is not a "consistent" class during the first semester that would cover all
students, what are you doing to help the information and "rules" be known? I
recently moved up from elementary level and was used to having a good intro built
upon each year, reviewing to remind and cover new students.

We have log books to sign in at each system w/AUP and use of equipment, but
realistically most don't read them even when they sign in (of course WE ALL would
read this information ourselves). :-)

 I try to do a quick intro w/classes that are signed up for use on searching print
and non-print plus Internet info, but there are many individual students on passes
and at lunch, etc. If you have to go over the info w/each class, students get bored
if they've heard it before and think they already know it all anyway. - Think how
many people believe every web site ends with .com!

We have a district wide formal AUP that students are required to sign- but again
info floats on by since it isn't needed at that time. State and district guidelines
are now being implemented to fill in the "technology" gaps so that students
should/will have a certain competency level when they reach high school, but right
now there are still lots of gaps in people's understanding on how to use things.
One fairly bright student put a disk in upside down and backwards not wanting to
appear dumb and ask. (I managed to retrieve it while making comments on disks
sometimes sticking in the drive- then doing a 1 on 1 lesson in my office)
Straightening out these types of problems as well has monitoring what types of
sites are acceptable can really cut into the time needed in helping increasing
effective searching for info both in house and Internet.

With the Internet use for searching and AUP's that need followed as well as quick
do's and don'ts of equipment and guidelines for general media center use, what
methods have you found to be effective in communicating this to all of the students?

I am looking for ideas that can be used as the school year begins as well as a way
to help ones that transfer in during the year.

Please reply to me at:     kmayberry@yahoo.com <mailto:kmayberry@yahoo.com>

I will compile a hit. Thanks!

--
Katherine Mayberry
Minds are like parachutes - they function best when open!