A few weeks ago I asked if any LM_NETTERS were familiar with Achievement =
TV programming.  While I did not hear from anyone who was, I had some =
requests for more information if I learned anything.   Since then, I have =
learned a lot and I think the information is worth sharing.

First, you can become familiar with Achievement TV programming and videos =
at their web site  http://www.achievement.org and they do have an e-mail =
address there to contact them.

That's what I did.  I contacted them, telling them that although I've been =
a librarian for 25 years and thought I was pretty up to speed with =
educational broadcasting, I was unfamiliar with Achievement TV.  I =
explained that I did not have access to pull down satellite programming =
and wondered if any education stations in our area would be airing their =
upcoming programs.   I got an immediate response  and a nice gift from =
them.  They sent me over a dozen of their recent programs.  I've watched =
them all and am here to tell you that they are extremely well done.  (I'm =
not advocating that 13,000 librarians seek free videos from them, since =
they do have these tapes for sale. <G>  But their broadcasts are copyright =
free for schools to tape off air and keep.)
    The focus of these videos, while crossing many topics, is really on =
qualities such as leadership, courage, perseverance, ethics, the American =
Dream, doing the right thing, etc.  =20
    The Achievement organization brings together high school students from =
across the nation with well known experts in their fields.   For instance, =
the video called "Lessons of Leadership" features the following panelists: =
President George H.W. Bush, President Jimmy Carter, Judge Frank M. =
Johnson, Lady Bird Johnson, Ralph Nader, Rosa L. Parks, General Colin =
Powell, General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, Ambassador Sol M. Linowitz, and =
Ambassador Paul Nitze.  =20
     The videos are not just straight taping of these discussions, =
however.  They are well edited to include the panelists individually as =
they answer questions pertinent to the topic, in interviews that Achievemen=
t TV conducts with them.  The tapes are about an hour long. (57-60 min.)   =
You can download teacher guides and student activities from the curriculum =
section of their web site.   I would suggest that the videos are appropriat=
e for any age level, however I think they will best hold the attention of =
Middle School and High School students.  The ones I received were not =
closed-captioned but I understand that future programming will be.
     I'd like to mention one of their titles, "Entrepreneurs and the =
Information Age."   It features pioneers in high-tech fields who discuss =
their roles, their careers, and the opportunities that lie ahead in the =
technology industry.  It will certainly fill requests I have had from H.S. =
Business teachers and may also be of interest to many of you with =
technology responsibilities.
     Personally, I enjoyed the various tapes that spoke to writing.  Some =
of the authors that are on the different panels included: Maya Angelou, =
Rita Dove, Jean Auel, Tom Clancy, John Grisham, R.L. Stine, Amy Tan and =
others.  There are excellent tapes about the legacy of Martin Luther King; =
scientists; doctors; media responsibility; changing careers; community =
responsibility; and so many more worthwhile topics.  =20
      Any of these videos would be great for stimulating classroom =
discussion.

     =20

Christine Findlay, Director
Central Resource Center