LM_NET Friends,
Last week I asked for some help in choosing an uplifting book for a friend
who needed a boost.  I ended up receiving the boost, as well.  What follows
is a list of title suggestions.  But I also received words of support and
wisdom, and fast!  You guys are the best.  I had to buy "Thank you, Mr.
Falker" and also decided to go with "Pay it Forward".   A few people asked
for a HIT so here it is.  Once again, thank you all..........EC
***************
Thank you,Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco. it brings tears to my eyes
every time i read it. A kids book about a girl who learns to read. Just
wonderful.
*****************
A short guide to a happy life by Anna Quindlen is an uplifting general
nonfiction read.
**************
If she's burned out...she may need some joy in her life.
Kids books

Denis Cazet's Never Spit on Your Shoes and Are there Any Questions?
Matilda by Roald Dahl
Katherine Called Birdy by Karen Cushman
Best Christmas Pageant Ever and the Best School Year Ever by Peck
Magic School Bus the early ones before they were franchised
Yo! YES!
Tuesday
Ella Enchanted
Anastacia books by Lois Lowery
Judy Blume's books
Joke of the Day on the 'net
Farside calendar daily dose of ha-ha's
Chris Crutcher's books
******************
Make a survival kit...basket of chocolates, International coffees,teas,
cookies, and several long trashy novels or mysteries.
Form a teacher  book club and select books they can discuss that have kids
and school in the stories.  Let them ventilate.
Or get away from school by working in the community or be a student in a
pottery/crart class or take up music.
We did all of that here....of course we're on an island and have to make our
own fun.
******************
Two books that I have found inspiring (both true) are "Tisha" and
"Tuesdays with Morrie"
*******************
Hi! I'm 24, so maybe I can help!
Educating Esme is a wonderful book. I'm sure you've heard of it. It has
fantastic ideas in it and her energy and spunk are very uplifting. (by Esme
Codell)
***************
Thank you Mr.Falker by Polacco. It's a picture book, but if it's not
inspiring, I don't know what is!
*************
How about The Landry News by Andrew Clements - about what happens when an
enthusiastic 4th grader and a burned-out teacher clash over a school
newspaper.  Also, The View from a Saturday by Konigsburg - one of the
characters is a teacher who was disabled in an accident and forces herself
back into teaching. When her students do some wonderful things she
remembers why she loves what she does.  HTH
*******************
    I have heard several of our teachers say that Teaching from the
heart: reflections, encouragement, and inspritation by Sharon Mills
Draper is very good.  Hope your friend's year improves!
*******************
Tuesdays with Morrie
***************
One of my favorites is in the Rabbi series and it is Tuesday the
Rabbi........ I can't remember.  But besides solve the murder the Rabbi
teaches a class and it really is inspiring and fun.
***************
I'd suggest gift from the sea, by Anne Morrow Lindberg
*******************
Hi,off the top of my head I would recommend the book titled Among
Schoolchildren
by Tracy Kidder. I read it years ago before I was married, had children, and
worked in the schools and I still think about.  Mr. Kidder spent a year
observing a teacher and documents a typical school year.  I loved it.
I would choose Frindle

Eileen Culkin,  LMS
Inter-Lakes Jr. Sr. High School
1Laker Lane
Meredith, NH 03253
ecullkin@inter-lakes.k12.nh.us
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read."
        Groucho Marx