I'm not sure that the subject line is quite accurate, but I am sure that
the LM_Net community can help me with this.

I like to do a unit with Gr. 2 dealing with stories (folktales) where
characters have individual strengths, and it takes several of the
characters working together to solve a problem.  The stories I use are:

The Seven Chinese Brothers (Mahy)
The Five Chinese Brothers (Bishop)
Four Clever Brothers (Grimm)(I use the one from Anno's Twice Told Stories)
Anansi the Spider (McDermott)
The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship (Ransome)

We compare and contrast the stories and the character traits or strengths.
I'd like to add a few more stories to this unit, but I am having trouble
locating more.  In fact, I thought I had a new one this year, and now
cannot remember a title or author, or even the general storyline.  In A to
Zoo 5th ed. (Lima) some of these stories are listed under Character
traits--Cleverness.

I'm especially looking for stories similar to those listed. Ex. from Anansi
is each spider child has a special ability such as seeing far, drinking a
river, throwing a stone, skinning game, etc. and it was only because each
of them used this ability that together they were able to rescue their father.

If you know of a book or folktale which follows this sort of pattern,
please let me know, and I will post a hit.

Anne C. Oelke
Libray Media Director, Computer Coordinator
Cambria-Friesland School District
Cambria, WI.
mailto:acoelke@centuryinter.net