Hello,
        I've promoted the use of magazines as a way to stimulate reading
interest for many years.  Although Teen, Seventeen and YM are packed with
ads and a great deal of frivolous information, every issue will normally
have something of importance or social concern.  What I have noticed in
recent years, is a portrayal of teen girls that is much more sexually
provocative.  The latest issue of Seventeen (March) has an ad that I feel
pushes the limits of what is appropriate.

        A young man with a towel around his waist is leaning up against a
bathroom sink.  A young girl is seated on the sink with her legs around his
waist.  By the kind of expression we see on their faces and the positioning
of the girl's hand, it appears she is fondling him.  The ad is for Goodies,
a company that sells fragrances.  I looked at their website and didn't find
any advertising that was similar to the one in Seventeen.

        I am not a prude or member of the religious right.  I believe in
freedom of expression and the first amendent, etc.  But I do feel
uncomfortable letting my 8th grade girls see an ad of this type and thus it
becomes a censorship issue.  Asking a some opinions.

Ed Nizalowski, SMS
Newark Valley High School
Newark Valley, NY  13811
enizalowski@nvcs.stier.org