Wow!  Lots of LM_NETters working on the Fourth of July!  Thank you,
everyone!  I looked in the LM_NET archives, subject search for "Cinderella"
and came up with LOTS.   So I asked Netters to tell me which are their
favorites.  And I checked Title Wave (Follett) and the descriptions.  For
folks looking for more, the Children's Literature Web Site has a good list
of Cinderella variations.  I also got a list of them by continent (all
except Australia and Antarctica) from the LM_NET archives.

Yeh-Shen (a story from China) which is also available in video format by
Ai-Ling Louie and Ed Young.  (recommended by a number of you)

The Egyptian Cinderella (a story from Ancient Egypt) by Shirley Climo and
Ruth Heller (this one may be the oldest Cinderella story and is based --
at least in part -- on a true occurance).  (Also recommended by many)

Cinderella : Cinderella's stepsister, Cinderella the untold story by
Russell Shorto and T. (Thomaas) Lewis. This one is two versions of the
tale -- the classic story from the French legend and then you turn the
book over and you get Cinderella's sister's point of view of the story.

Bubba the cowboy prince by Helen Ketterman and James Warhola (which is a
male version of the tale) and/or Prince Cinders by Babette Cole (which is
also a male version of the tale).

Try www.Asiaforkids.com  - get that catalog!  You will find every possible
variation of Cinderella plus teaching resource books.

 the appaplachian cinderella and also a book called  Cinderfella about a
boy who wants to playy football

There is a Spanish version of Cinderella (in English) called Little Gold
Star (Estrellita De Oro): A
Cinderella Cuento by Joe Hayes, Illustrated by Gloria Osuna Perez and Lucia
Angela Perez, Cinco Puntos Press, 2000. Also, a Caribbean version called
The Gift of the Crocodile: A Cinderella Story by Judy Sierra, illustrated
by Reynold Ruffins, Simon & Schuster, 2000.

the kids love 'The Gift of the Crocodile' although I can't remember the
author's name... Other greats are the Talking Eggs by Robert San Souci,
'Kongi and Potgi' adapted by Oki
S. Han and Stephanie Haboush Plunkett.  For a hysterical fractured American
version, try Cindy Ellen: A Wild Western Cinderella...

 Here are three more I used for my Cinderella lesson plan: Yeh-Shen by
Ai-Ling Louis, The Turkey Girl by Penny Pollock and Fair, Brown and
Trembling by Daly.

 Yeh Shen,  Egyptian
Cinderella,  The Golden Sandals ( a fairly recent version from the Mid-East)
and they enjoyed The Irish Cinderlad.

Cindy Ellen A Wild Western Cinderella by susan Lowell and Bigfoot
Cindererrrrrella
by Tony Johnston.  They are a hoot!.

 BIGFOOT CINDERRRRRRELLA by Tony Johnston
EGYPTIAN CINDERELLA by Shirley Climo
CENDRILLON, a Cajun Cinderella by Sheila H.  Collins
CINDER-ELLY by Frances Minters (a bit higher  level)
CINDERELLA PENGUIN by Janet Perlman
EIGHT CINDERELLAS by Nancy Polette (Gives a great overview of  the story
from 8 different cultural standpoints.)
THE ENCHANTED ANKLET by Lila Mehta
FAIR, BROWN, AND TREMBLING; an Irish Tale by Patricia  Jones
THE GLASS SLIPPER by Eleanor Farjeon
THE GOLDEN SANDAL by Rebecca Hickox
KONGI AND POTGI adapted by Oki S. Han
THE KOREAN CINDERELLA by Shirley Climo
MIDNIGHT: A CINDERELLA ALPHABET by Stephanie  Perkal
NO SLIPPER FOR CINDERELLA by Mildred Lawrence
THE PERSIAN CINDERELLA by Shirley Climo
SMOKY MOUNTAIN ROSE by Alan Schroeder
SOOTFACE: An Ojibwa Cinderella by Robert D.  SanSouci
TAM CAM:  The Vietnamese Cinderella by Nguyen Thi  Nhuan
THE TURKEY GIRL: A Zuni Cinderella by Penny  Pollock
THE WAY MEAT LOVES SALT: a Cinderella Tale from the Jewish  Tradition by
Nina Jaffe YEN-SHEN:  a Cinderella Story from China by Ai-Ling  Louie

The first I  would add to your collection is Yeh-Shen by Ai-Ling Louie,
illustrated by Ed  Young.  I'd also recommend The Egyptian CInderella by
Shirley Climo, Moss  Gown by Hooks and The Way Meat Loves Salt by Nina
Jaffe.  Prince  Cinders by Cole is a fun variation.

definetly Rough-Faced Girl and Talking Eggs!!

Bubba the Cowboy Prince by Helen Ketterman has a boy as the "Cinderella"
character along with a wicked stepfather/stepbrothers and a wealthy
rancher's daughter  looking for "real cowboy" to share her life with. Read
this one with a thick Texas accent. Great illustrations.

Cinder Ellie.  This is a video I got from Weston Woods.  It's one of the
American Storytelling collection tapes. Cinder Ellie marries
the son of the mayor of Baltimore in this one.

  I really like the Shirley Climo ones:  "Egyptian Cinderella," Persian
Cinderella," etc.  I've also used "Cendrillon" very successfully with
second graders.  I think the reteller is San Souci; the illustrator is
definitely Brian Pinkney.  If you have the old
series "Favorite Fairy Tales Told In....," there's a wonderful Cinderella
variant called "Cenerentola" in the Italy volume.
Also "Yeh Shen, the Chines Cinderella."
  I've also enjoyed doing a day when I rent various video versions of the
story and just show the fairy godmother scene of all of them for comparison.
There are at least four out there in standard video stor

Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (preK-4)
80 Powder Mill Rd.
Southwick, MA 01077
johanna@massed.net