There has been several recent threads about wireless labs (class set of
portables on cart with rechargers and Airport connection) on the Edtech List
Archives can be checked at:

http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~edweb

Google archives postings for Edtech at
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=bit.listserv.edtech
(click on search edtech button)

Archives are also available at ERIC:
http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/
or
http://ericir.syr.edu/plweb-cgi/fastweb?searchform+listservs

Search for 'Wireless labs'

(Disclaimer: I am one of the editors for Edtech list)

WWWEDU also has had discussions on wireless connectivity and how to use it
in schools.  http://edweb.gsn.org/wwwedu.faq.html

Some of the issues aren't specific to wireless (memory for PP, monitoring
Internet use, kids hating IMacs) and may be good threads to start or review
there also.  There are also PC versions to consider.

My first idea would be to go back to principal and see if part of the vision
is to use them in classrooms also. The portability makes that really
feasible and can add a lot to class projects. I think that would also let
you and the principal consider some of the other issues involved, like
responsibility, maintenance, training, etc.

There are lots of ways that kind of connectivity would benefit the kids and
teachers in their research and use of information. Especially if a class set
were available. Demonstration (orienting at beginning of year on OPAC,
search skills, saving to server space, Database or online encyclopedia
searching, collaborative work, WebQuests), How about times when there aren't
enough computers otherwise available or when two projects are going on at
the same time?

(PS: If there are some issues with IMACs crashing, etc, there have been
updates to software to check on. That was also discussed on Edtech, and of
course Apple.com would have info available)

--
Robert Eiffert, Librarian at Image Elementary
Vancouver WA