There is a path between Russell and Suby... Safe mode is a good
time to run Scandisk, and let it repair broken and crosslinked files,
and then run Defrag to consolidate fragmented files and free disk
space. Since win9x generally uses the free disk space on the boot
drive for a swap file, the pc runs more efficiently with a large piece
of contiguous free space at the end of the hard drive. After you've
run scandisk and defrag, then shutdown from the start button and
see what happens when you boot up again. Another 'trick' that I
learned from our lan guys is to always completely shut down when
there are problems,  and not do a restart. I've found the advice
good, and well worth the time for a complete shutdown and start.

Dan Robinson
HW Wilson Company
Bronx, NY
drobinson@hwwilson.com