Seems to me that the real question is one of teaching opportunities vs. "zero
tolerance". If the measures outline are the only ones being employed, without
teaching the research process (notetaking, synthesis, original thought, etc.),
then this is a copout and I agree with Aleene's assessment.

However, if the process is being taught, the teacher's expectations are clear,
and every opportunity is given for students to follow the expected process,
then  the consequences become a matter of student choices. I think we also have
to realize that sometimes, no matter how much you've taught the "right way" to
research and write a paper, a few students will take the other route. Most
teachers I've encountered over the past few years really work with kids to help
them understand the different between original and plagiarized work. So, when a
student chooses to fly in the face of acceptability, there has to be
consequences. Now, it would be nice if less would have the same effect, but
this sounds to me like these teachers are looking for a more effective way to
communicate the seriousness of this action because the way they've been doing
it isn't working well any more.

And, finally, isn't it better to get this message across the the student before
he/she heads to college and tries the same trick? Or gets into the business
world and tries to pass off someone else's work as his/her own? I think part of
our job as educators is to provide boundaries of acceptable behavior so kids
can internalize them before those boundaries are blurred by the larger world.

JMHO!!

Cyndi

--- "Aleene B. Nielson" <ablanca@BIGPLANET.COM> wrote:
> Joyce Polucha wrote:
>
> > Due to a a rash of plagiarism in term papers, our English Department is
> > drafting a new plagiarism policy.  Our previous policy called for the
> > offender to receive a zero for the grade.  The department feels more
> > stringent measures should be imposed.  Here is the new policy:
> >
> > 1.  First Offense:
> >     A grade of "0" for the assignment
> >     Notification of parents
> >     Forfeiture of membership in any honor society
> >     3 day suspension
>
> This reminds me of other "zero tolerance" policies that have been imposed on
> our schools/society (and the lives of our students) in the past few years.
> It may be easy to "enforce" but will not allow for accidental or "innocent"
> actions of young people nor will it give students an opportunity to learn
> from their mistake.  After a first offense, a thoughtful discussion with the
> young person would be much more appropriate.  That discussion could include
> reasons for the anti-plagiarism policy, the importance of relying on one's
> own creativity rather than copying the work of others, making a plan to
> prevent future incidents of plagiarism, and making a decision about
> consequences of any future plagiarism.
>
> This kind of discussion allows the student to learn and grow.  The "zero
> tolerance" policy makes him or her a "criminal" who can learn only through
> severe punishment.  Why do you want to stereotype your students as
> "criminals" rather than teach them to take responsibility for changing
> improper behavior?
>
> Aleene Nielson
> Former LM Coordinator, Teacher, Prof.
> Tucson, AZ
> ablanca@bigplanet.com
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
> All postings to LM_NET are protected under copyright law.
> To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), send email to:
> listserv@listserv.syr.edu   In the message write EITHER:
> 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL or 3) SET LM_NET DIGEST
> 4) SET LM_NET MAIL  * Please allow for confirmation from Listserv.
> For LM_NET Help see: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/
> Archives: http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/LM_NET.html
>  See also EL-Announce for announcements from library media vendors:
>     http://www.mindspring.com/~el-announce/

=====
Cyndi Gates, Librarian                  Owner of Cozie, WCCC
Hutchinson High School                  (World's Cutest Chubby
Hutchinson, KS                                  Chihuahua)
cgates@southwind.net
library_cyndi@yahoo.com

"Havin' more fun than the average bear ..."