Dear Group,

 Sorry this took so long, I was waiting for a response from one person.  The
original post asked for titles of books that the students from our
self-contained special education class might enjoy  and, if possible,
identify with the characters.  The children are mainstreamed with 3rd
graders for some activities.  They love Henry and Mudge but Cam Jansen and
Amelia Bedelia are not in their range.

Here is a list of the responses I received:

Try my ATN reading lists : http://nancykeane.com/rl/95.htm#Top

Nate the Great series by ____ Sharmat
The Kids of Polk Street School by patricia Reilly Giff
The picture book editions of many of the Laura Ingalls Wilder stories.
Leo the Late Bloomer
The Little Engine that Could
Horton Hatches a Who
The three Billy Boats Gruff
The Clown of God
Thank you, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco
Smudge by Nan Gregory
Mandy by Barbara Booth
The Hickory Chair by Lisa Fraustino

Look at some of the level easy readers - lots of them like animals
Many of these children are less mature than others their age and picture
books work because there are short stories for their shorter attention
span too

They should like the Junie B Jones series and our sp ed students like the
Magic Treehouse.  We now have inclusion.  How about the Scooby Doo series?
Oh...overcoming hurdles...how about biographies about people who had
learning disabilities like Pattricia Polacco etc.

Jean Little has written books about children with disabilities --
particularly visual handicaps.  IIRC, _From Anna_, _Mine for Keeps_,
_Listen to the Singing_

This page has books directed at LD issues but will probably have some
you could use:
http://www.ldonline.org/ld_store/bibliotherapy/ldbooks.html

Three picture books come to mind: How Smudge Came by Nan Gregory is about an
older girl with Down Syndrome who finds a puppy.  It was shown as a tv
special a few years ago.  In Harry, Willy and Carrothead by Judith Caseley,
Harry is born without a left arm.  Mandy by Barbara Booth is about a deaf
girl and her widowed grandmother.
Thanks to all who responded.

Karen Walstein
Old Bridge Public Schools