The responses were mixed as to our school's proposed plagiarism policy.
Eight respondents found the policy to be acceptable.  Comments included the
following:
    - college will be tougher, some schools expel on the first offense
    - may be difficult to keep track of offenses
    - Univ. of Virginia was used as a recent example.  Policies should be
tough so students know how serious this is.
    - Should teach about plagiarism in class before a research assignment is
given.  Spell out consequences, have students sign a form to acknowledge
that they understand.  Practice paraphrasing.
    -What is the penalty for a student who steals from another, penalty
should be the same.
    - "Zero Tolerance" vs. teaching opportunity:  If the process is taught
and expectations are clear, consequences become a matter of student choice.
Better that they get the message now, before entering college or the
business world.

Four respondants found the policy to be unacceptable.  Comments included:
    -too punitive, punishment should fit the crime
    - too tough, would rather see in-house suspension, a "0" for first
offense, "F" for the marking period for the second offense and an "F" in the
class for the third offense
    - could have students attend a class where they learn how to make their
papers "legal"  Rewrite under supervision
    - Hate to see suspension used for an academic offense.  Could have "0"
for first offense, lose additional points off grade for second offense,
maybe community service.  Suspension can lead to alienation and more
problems.
    -If "Zero Tolerance" will not allow for accidental or innocent actions
of students

The 3 offenses that I was personally involved with were cases where 2 papers
and 1 poem were taken word for word from the internet.  The poem was "Al
Gore I Am" and was widely circulated on the net.  The honor student who
turned this in, said that the idea came to him during lunch.  He said he
jotted down notes on a napkin and then went home and wrote it.  This student
knew what he was doing.  I would assume that teachers would use their own
judgement when it comes to marginal or questionable cases.  However, the
English department wanted something stronger in order to deal with these
blatant cases.  Our previous policy stated that the student received a "0"
on the paper.   Thanks for your input everyone!

Joyce Polucha
Cumberland High School
Cumberland, RI
cuhs0065@ride.ri.net