On 24 May 01, at 12:14, I wrote:

> Does anyone have any Spanish language magazines
> for young people, with news and articles, etc. that
> they could recommend as appropriate for a Catholic
> high school?  We'd like to get something without the
> heavy emphasis on dating and sex-related issues that
> one sees in so many magazines aimed at teens.
> We'd also like to see it have articles about current
> news events. The reading level should be middle to
> high school level.

Since several people requested I post a HIT on
this topic, here is what little I got:

1. A couple of folks suggested "Hispanic" magazine,
which one of them described as being like "People",
only in Spanish.

2. A couple of folks mentioned the Spanish-language
edition of "People" itself.  One person mentioned it
to discount it for my needs, as from their experience
it was even more filled with articles about sex and
related topics than the English language version.

[Note: Neither "People" nor a "People-like" magazine
are what we're looking for, unfortunately.]

3. "Amerias", "National Geographic", or "Reader's
Digest"  in Spanish were suggested.

[Again, none of these are really news magazines,
so not really what we're looking for.]

4. The 6-page 'magazine' series with the titles
Vamos, Chicos, Muchachos, and Amigos were
mentioned a couple of times.

[But these are really classroom magazines,
like Jr. Scholastic, not what we're looking for
for the library.]

5. One person suggested sampling the Spanish
magazines in the Internet Public Library (www.ipl.org).
I will suggest this to our Spanish teacher (I don't
read Spanish myself).  She probably won't have
a chance to do that until after exams, though.
(Which, in NY state, means not for a few more
weeks.)  At this point, that looks like our best
bet for finding something we can use.  I'll keep
my fingers crossed, and if we do find something
good, will post an addendum to this HIT to let
everyone know about it.

Thanks to all who sent in suggestions!

--
Kathryn Frech, Librarian