------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C0EE85.59D70A20

Thank you to everyone who responded about elementary periodicals.  Most o=
f you check them out to students using pocket cards or simple barcodes. H=
ere are other responses:

The 2nd grade students each get a Highlights and a list of things to look
for (table of contents, illustration, picture/photo, joke/riddle, cartoon=
,
poem, letter to the editor), then they have a similar lesson with a
newspaper.  Of course, there is a short lesson prior to each of these
classes explaining a periodical, the different types, and what can be fou=
nd
in each.  After we have the lesson, we allow 2nd grade to check out
magazines as an overnight check out. The 2nd grade students each get a Hi=
ghlights and a list of things to look
for (table of contents, illustration, picture/photo, joke/riddle, cartoon=
,
poem, letter to the editor), then they have a similar lesson with a
newspaper.  Of course, there is a short lesson prior to each of these
classes explaining a periodical, the different types, and what can be fou=
nd
in each.  After we have the lesson, we allow 2nd grade to check out
magazines as an overnight checkout
 =20
 =20
I am going to use some of them as a basis of centers next year.  Some hav=
e easy drawings the kids can do, I can pull out books that go along with =
the various subject matter.  I also think I am going to "magazine talk" s=
ome particularly good articles that I think they might like.  =20
 =20
 =20
I teach them that reading a magazine is
different from reading a book.  You look at the Table of Contents and cho=
ose
the articles which interest you rather than reading front to back.  You a=
lso
read at different speeds depending upon your purpose for reading (faster =
for
the short jokes and fun articles, and slower if it is an informational
article.)  I also explain how to use the Table of Contents, how to find t=
he
price of the magazine, the address of the publisher, the frequency of
publication, and the author of the article if it is given.  We talk about=
 the
purpose of ads in magazines and why some magazines might not have any.  W=
talk also about the audience of the magazine and whether or not the ads a=
re
appropriate to those who read the magazine.  Then after my general lesson=
, I
have them explore a magazine of their choice and answer questions about i=
such as:  What is the name of your magazine?  How much does it cost?  Cho=
ose
one article, write it's name and the page on which it is found.  Then
summarize what it is about in 3 sentences.  Choose a magazine advertiseme=
nt.
What is it for?  Do you think that will succeed in getting the readers of
this magazine to buy the product?  why or why not? The last question is D=
you think you would spend your own money to buy this magazine anytime in =
the
future?  Why or why not? they really love this lesson since most of them =
do
not regularly receive magazines in their homes and the format is very
interesting to them if they are reading a magazine such as Nickelodeon,
American girl, etc.  GI explain to them that reading a magaizne is
[...]
American girl, etc.  =20

Cinci Mitchell
Welder Elementary Librarian
Sinton, Texas
cincimitchell@hotmail.com

=E2=80=9CWhen you have gone so far that you can=E2=80=99t manage one more=
 step, then you have gone just half the distance that you are capable of =
.=E2=80=9D
--Irish proverbGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http:=
//explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C0EE85.59D70A20

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Thank you to e=
veryone who responded about elementary periodicals.&nbsp; Most of you che=
ck them out to students using pocket cards or simple barcodes.&nbsp;Here =
are other responses:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>The 2nd grade students =
each get a Highlights and a list of things to look<BR>for (table of conte=
nts, illustration, picture/photo, joke/riddle, cartoon,<BR>poem, letter t=
o the editor), then they have a similar lesson with a<BR>newspaper.&nbsp;=
 Of course, there is a short lesson prior to each of these<BR>classes exp=
laining a periodical, the different types, and what can be found<BR>in ea=
ch.&nbsp; After we have the lesson, we allow 2nd grade to check out<BR>ma=
gazines as an overnight check out. The 2nd grade students each get a High=
lights and a list of things to look<BR>for (table of contents, illustrati=
on, picture/photo, joke/riddle, cartoon,<BR>poem, letter to the editor), =
then they have a similar lesson with a<BR>newspaper.&nbsp; Of course, the=
re is a short lesson prior to each of these<BR>classes explaining a perio=
dical, the different types, and what can be found<BR>in each.&nbsp; After=
 we have the lesson, we allow 2nd grade to check out<BR>magazines as an o=
vernight checkout</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I am goi=
ng to use some of them as a basis of centers next year.&nbsp; Some have e=
asy drawings the kids can do, I can pull out books that go along with the=
 various subject matter.&nbsp; I also think I am going to "magazine talk"=
 some particularly good articles that I think they might like.&nbsp; </DI=
V> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I teach them that reading a m=
agazine is<BR>different from reading a book.&nbsp; You look at the Table =
of Contents and choose<BR>the articles which interest you rather than rea=
ding front to back.&nbsp; You also<BR>read at different speeds depending =
upon your purpose for reading (faster for<BR>the short jokes and fun arti=
cles, and slower if it is an informational<BR>article.)&nbsp; I also expl=
ain how to use the Table of Contents, how to find the<BR>price of the mag=
azine, the address of the publisher, the frequency of<BR>publication, and=
 the author of the article if it is given.&nbsp; We talk about the<BR>pur=
pose of ads in magazines and why some magazines might not have any.&nbsp;=
 We<BR>talk also about the audience of the magazine and whether or not th=
e ads are<BR>appropriate to those who read the magazine.&nbsp; Then after=
 my general lesson, I<BR>have them explore a magazine of their choice and=
 answer questions about it<BR>such as:&nbsp; What is the name of your mag=
azine?&nbsp; How much does it cost?&nbsp; Choose<BR>one article, write it=
's name and the page on which it is found.&nbsp; Then<BR>summarize what i=
t is about in 3 sentences.&nbsp; Choose a magazine advertisement.<BR>What=
 is it for?&nbsp; Do you think that will succeed in getting the readers o=
f<BR>this magazine to buy the product?&nbsp; why or why not? The last que=
stion is Do<BR>you think you would spend your own money to buy this magaz=
ine anytime in the<BR>future?&nbsp; Why or why not? they really love this=
 lesson since most of them do<BR>not regularly receive magazines in their=
 homes and the format is very<BR>interesting to them if they are reading =
a magazine such as Nickelodeon,<BR>American girl, etc.&nbsp; GI explain t=
o them that reading a magaizne is<BR>different from reading a book.&nbsp;=
 You look at the Table of Contents and choose<BR>the articles which inter=
est you rather than reading front to back.&nbsp; You also<BR>read at diff=
erent speeds depending upon your purpose for reading (faster for<BR>the s=
hort jokes and fun articles, and slower if it is an informational<BR>arti=
cle.)&nbsp; I also explain how to use the Table of Contents, how to find =
the<BR>price of the magazine, the address of the publisher, the frequency=
 of<BR>publication, and the author of the article if it is given.&nbsp; W=
e talk about the<BR>purpose of ads in magazines and why some magazines mi=
ght not have any.&nbsp; We<BR>talk also about the audience of the magazin=
e and whether or not the ads are<BR>appropriate to those who read the mag=
azine.&nbsp; Then after my general lesson, I<BR>have them explore a magaz=
ine of their choice and answer questions about it<BR>such as:&nbsp; What =
is the name of your magazine?&nbsp; How much does it cost?&nbsp; Choose<B=
R>one article, write it's name and the page on which it is found.&nbsp; T=
hen<BR>summarize what it is about in 3 sentences.&nbsp; Choose a magazine=
 advertisement.<BR>What is it for?&nbsp; Do you think that will succeed i=
n getting the readers of<BR>this magazine to buy the product?&nbsp; why o=
r why not? The last question is Do<BR>you think you would spend your own =
money to buy this magazine anytime in the<BR>future?&nbsp; Why or why not=
? they really love this lesson since most of them do<BR>not regularly rec=
eive magazines in their homes and the format is very<BR>interesting to th=
em if they are reading a magazine such as Nickelodeon,<BR>American girl, =
etc.&nbsp; <BR><BR>Cinci Mitchell<BR>Welder Elementary Librarian<BR>Sinto=
n, Texas<BR>cincimitchell@hotmail.com<BR><BR>=E2=80=9CWhen you have gone =
so far that you can=E2=80=99t manage one more step, then you have gone ju=
st half the distance that you are capable of .=E2=80=9D<BR>--Irish prover=
b</DIV></BODY></HTML><br clear=3Dall><hr>Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN=
 Explorer download : <a href=3D'http://explorer.msn.com'>http://explorer.=

------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C0EE85.59D70A20--