My question : suitability (age and interest) of the following magazines
for Middle School:
Mary Kate and Ashley, Boys Life and Discovery Girls.

I received several answers indicating that Discovery Girls was a bit young
- sixth grade at the most, at least at this point (it is a brand new
magazine - check it out at http://www. discoverygirls.com)

The comment I received about Boys Life indicated that the librarian's son
really started to enjoy it in sixth grade - it is good if you have a
number of boys who are scouts.

Finally, Mary Kate and Ashley was given a thumbs up by a librarian's 13
year old daughter.  This is a new magazine and rather pricey - It comes
out six times a year and has a newstand price of $6.00 an issue, tho it is
cheaper with a subscription.

One writer suggested Guideposts for Teens, which does seem to be a
perfect level, with articles on many concerns of interest to teens. It
does have a definite Christian point of view, which might make it very
suitable or not depending on your school and community. (check it out at
http://www.gp4teens.com/home.asp )

Finally, two people wrote and suggested Jump.  We did receive Jump at the
beginning of last year, since SLJ described it as suitable for young
teens, but found at least one of the articles highly inappropriate. We
dropped it mid-year.

If you have any further comments or suggestions, please send them to me or
to the list.

Thanks,

Susan

Susan Burstein, Portland Middle School Library
Portland, CT 06480
portland@connix.com   OR burstein@connix.com