Dear librarians,
    I read the post about a librarian's job being cut and the posts about
Libraries being moved into hallways, etc.  I have been mulling over these
posts while reading the ALA information literacy standards.  I have also
been looking at the Pennsylvania Guidelines.
    I met with my Principal this week about the library instruction program
we have.  I offer the following observations:

The standards and guidelines have moved to integration and collaboration
rather than a set library instruction class.  Thus administrators do not see
their librarians teaching classes.  They walk in the library and may not see
students, or see students engage in "learning".

My principal questioned how I would be sure that the material that I am
teaching my students would still be taught to them if we did not have a set
Library Instruction class.  What about the teacher who does not use the
library with his or her class?

My principal was very complementary about my Library Instruction program.  I
teach Library Instruction and Research for 9 weeks to all Freshmen.  The
students produce a Science Research Paper through my class that also goes to
their Science Teachers.  I also do integration and collaboration with the
10th, 11th and 12th grade teachers.  My library is a busy place.

Perhaps it is important for Librarians to show how they are meeting the
standards, how they are important to the academics of the school, and how
important the library is to students' success.

I often email my teachers with recommended web sites, booklists, and other
information I think they will want.  I try to be the "research expert" in
the school.

I am on my way to a meeting with all the department heads about how we are
meeting the information literacy standards in their curriculum and through
the library.  My principal thought it was important enough to have this
meeting.

I don't have all the answers, but I do think that when my principal said we
are doing more than other schools and he is very happy with our program it
will help at budget time and scheduling time.

These are some of my thoughts on the subject, can we get this discussion
going so that we can offer support to the librarians where there are
problems and provide ideas for all of us?

Jean Bickel

Ms. Jean Bickel, Librarian                           jbickel@jtasd.k12.pa.us
           http://www.jtasd.k12.pa.us/highschool/library/index.htm

       Research in any form goes better with the help of a librarian.