I have followed this thread concerning library space with interest.  What I
cannot seem to fathom is the constant harping on the need for librarians to
better promote themselves and what they do.  Do the physical education
teachers, the coaches, and the other area experts have to continually remind
and explain what they do and where they do it.  Currently there seems to be
increasing emphasis on schools building fine arts centers, computer
laboratories, and athletic centers.  Why is it that educators do not
understand the obvious--the state of a school is truly measured by the state
of its library.

Libraries aren't going anywhere and neither is the printed word.  But
someone is missing the boat because our students do not understand the
process of research and finding information.  If they can't click on the
mouse, then in the student's mind, the information just isn't there.  Time,
effort, and resources must be put into these skills and all of the computer
laboratories in the world will not take the place of this.

Perhaps no one else out there agrees with my position but I feel that I try
very hard to do a good job.  When can I find the time to do this other job
of promoting and justifying, along with substituting and teaching?

Helen R. Mashbaum
Maryvale Preparatory School
Brooklandville, MD  21022
mashbaumh@maryvale.com