I know there are times when we drive a subject down to the ground with our
discussion, but I think that this type of information is important to all
of us.  Had you heard about the Tiger Woods' card before the discussion on
LM_NET?  Probably not.  Is it important? Definitely.  We all have special
treasures in our libraries that we hold on to, question, put back for
review, and finally ask others to help us decide what to do with them.
This is a normal part of collection development.

Since the information on LM_NET was posted, I had been excited to share
with other librarians what they might have hiding on their shelves.   I
personally know of one librarian who (after I left the position--she took
my old job) decided to "toss" the back-issues of all of the children's
magazines for "visual beauty of the library" rather than for research (who
needs old issues of kids magazines, right?--When I was there (1990-2000) I
had them indexed and bound for research, review, etc.).  I thought I'd
contact this library to let them know that they had a treasure, but....

What is one man's trash, is another man's treasure!  Sometimes the mistakes
of not realizing what you have in your hands (shelves) can be costly.
Another good reason for librarians to stay informed!  Thanks for the
information!

Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Librarian

Mary L. Williams Curriculum Materials Library
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, Oklahoma
bshonda@okstate.edu
405-744-9769