With the advent of full-text web-based periodical products (now that's a
mouthful!), I am buying fewer magazines in hard copy.  I hardly buy any with
research value anymore, because they are available online through our
subscription.  We're just about ready to do our orders for next year and I'm
seriously considering dropping the remaining few that we have.  Most of the
use we have is for recreational reading (cars, skateboarding, videogames,
weight lifting, teen issues, People, Rolling Stone, etc.) and current events
(Time, Newsweek, US News).

When we were relying the hard copies for research, I kept most titles for 5
years.  Titles like American Heritage and National Geographic I kept longer.
I'm still keeping 5 years worth, but more because it's habit than because
it's needed.  Those being discarded are offered to teachers who want them
for collage projects and to our study hall.

Our lost material fine money comes back to the building budget and is then
distributed to departments the year after it is collected.

I've talked with other librarians in this area who are doing the same, but I
wonder if it's a national trend or just the Pacific Northwest?

Julie Anderson, Librarian
Liberty High School, Renton, WA
425.837.4901
andersonj@issaquah.wednet.edu