I am posting this again. I will be a little bit more specific in what I
am looking for.

I would like advice of people who are in the position of being a half
time person with a flex schedule.  I do not need messages telling me that
I have a hard job or that I need to quit.

I received 2 messages that responded to my question (thank you Mary and
Debbie), and 3 that basically told me to find another job.  I am looking
for another job, but since I am single and I support myself, I will not
quit a job that I have for a possible one in the future.  (And if you
look in the archives, I did vent some about this position.)  I am also
the type that will do what I need to do to set it up for another person
to be successful (I am already writing a procedures manual).

Again the facts:
I teach Thursdays and Fridays and every other Wednesday at a school that
has 545 students in it.  (The other days I teach at a school with
590--but this principal wants to stay on a fix scheduled.)  My new
principal comes from a middle school background that has always had a
full time librarian with support.  I have a full time aide at this school
for doing checkouts, cataloging (with my approval of call numbers),
overdue notices, shelving.  (Other school I only have a half time aide
that does checkout and some shelving.  I do all other duties myself.)
Fact:  I have staffs that think I do an amazing job when compared with
some of my predecesors.  My staffs want me to continue to teach to the
Oregon Benchmarks that relate to library science.  They are afaid that if
I go to flex, then I will not teach in an orderly fashion all that I do
now.

Fact:  Oregon does not have a state requirement for there to be a
librarian in an elementary library.  The position can be filled with a
classified person, if there is a librarian in the district (usually high
school level) that oversees the schools.  At this time I think there are
approximately 20 (that could be high) school districts that have full
time librarians with at least some staff.  Fact:  I have a budget of
$2300 for the 590 student body school, and $4500 for the 545 school,
which are larger than many school districts in the general area.

What I would like to know:
I need to know the logistics of creating a flex schedule in a half week
space.  I would also like to know how other librarians found time for
meeting with the teachers, and teaching lessons, and keeping up the
duties of the library.  I would like to know if it has worked, or did you
far, my teachers are not totally supporting this.  My principal is
wanting this, but he has asked for other types of changes also and
doesn't always think of the impact on the elementary level of students.)

Thank you for your time and consideration in responding to this.

JaKay Greer, Teacher-Librarian
Powell Valley Grade School
Kelly Creek Elementary School
Gresham, OR