Our school has had a computer literacy course for freshman that is
required for graduation. We have had one for at least 8 years. The powers
that be have been reviewing the course and have decided that it has
outlived its usefulness. Instead they would like to institute a
literacy/research course to be given by three disciplines and the library.
They are talking about 3 groups of 100 students in a lecture hall setting
being seen every three weeks for one period to last 15 weeks.(total 5
sessions with the librarian) On the face of it, my colleague and I are not
comnfortable with this set-up.Does anyone out there do something similiar
on a "rotational"basis? Right now we see every freshman for three periods
w/ their global studies teacher for print resources and library
orientation, then for a double period w/ their bio lab teacher to
integrate technology into their research. By early December we have
covered the entire freshman class. The way the administration wants to do
it will take the whole year to see all freshmen.
What about curriculum? Does anyone have any websites of their own or
others they can direct us to? we have some ideas, certainly we'll
incorporate what we've used up until now but any input would be
appreciated. TIA

Viviane J. Lampach, Librarian
The Bronx H.S. of Science
75 W. 205th Street