--------------4189A7D12119E9592953269D

Thanks to all who responded to my questions about circulating books
during the summer.  Almost everyone was enthusiastic about their summer
checkout program.  I got really excited reading their responses!  I
think I'm gonna "go for it!"  For those who requested to see the

Tish Carpinelli
Lower Cape May Regional H.S.
Cape May, NJ
carpinelli@lcmr.capemayschools.com

*******************************
We circulate books during the summer and we encourage it.  We are a high

school, with 1600 students.  A big plus is that we are open 2-3 days per

week during the summer.  We include suggested summer reading lists in
report cards that are mailed home, in the letters to the incoming
freshmen,
and also distribute the lists to local public libraries.  We put notices
in
the local newspaper encouraging freshmen and their parents to come in
for
tours of our library.  As a result we see anywhere from 10 - 50 patron
visits per day during the summer.  Some are freshmen and parents, some
are
faculty preparing for the next year, many are upperclass students who
want
a good book or are killing time before sports practice.  Doesn't really
matter - they are all reading and we actually get to spend some time
with
them since it is quiet!  Good luck and go for it!
***********************************
We circulate year round--we hold 10 week report cards if summer books
aren't back. Very little problem unless a family moves out of the
district.

***********************************
I do allow summer checkout, and each year have just a few
students take advantage of it. I don't publicize it, but it may come up
in
conversation during finals, and it is usually the better readers who
ask.  I am not sure that I would have more students check out for the
summer if I did make a big deal of it..most of them are preoccupied with

finals. I think it promotes reading, just because it is taking advantage
of
an (rare) opportunity.  I think if I did do it on a bigger scale in the
future, I would probably limit it to just paperback novels.  That is
usually what they want, anyhow.  Hope this is some help.
*********************************

> yes, yes, yes!   We allowed students to take books over the summer.  They
> had to be returned by the first day of school and not before (unless the
> family was moving unexpectedly).   Students wrote out lists of books they
> wanted...something like 20 each.  We did not have a limit really, but that
> seemed to work well.   Then each student's parent signed a permission and
> guarantee slip for return as promised or replacement.   we then went
> through the lists stacking books to fill requests.  Where there were
> duplicates and someone miss his first choice he got his second and maybe a
> lst choice winner did not get his 2nd choice but was bumped down to 3rd.
> It was amazing how we could balance this out.   Then we told the kids to
> trade off with one another during the summer if there were books that were
> in high demand.   Just that one student was responsible for the books that
> were on his list.     We had probably 25 students who wanted to do this at
> the beginning.       The English Dept tried stipulating a few books that
> would be read during the summer for classwork in the fall, but this was
> purely for fun reading and the books were good ones  that the kids just
> did not have time for during the school year assignments.    Losses?
> None.    some went to summer holidays where there were no libraries, etc.

**********************************
I have allowed summer checkout for the past 4 years and never lost a
book.  I don't start it until the last week or so of school
when seniors are gone.  Only students who have returned all books and
paid any fines are eligible.  I don't limit the number of
books but do if they are on a required reading list.  I don't let
teachers bring their whole class in for checkout as that would
encourage those who don't really care to checkout anyway and I suspect
lead to losses.  Announcements are made over the
morning TV show and those who want books know where to come.  Now I have
students asking when they can check out for
the summer. Even though our circulation is less than 50, I think it is
well worth it.
**********************************
I don't allow summer check out because so many students disappear during
the summer.  If they leave during the summer, I will have no way to get
my books back from them once their records are sent.  If you plan to do
this, I would be sure Guidance had a list of students and materials so
that you can get them back if the student has to suddenly move  This
assumes you have a
cooperative Guidance Department.    It is worth trying, but you will
more than likely get burned at some point.  I would limit the number of
check outs simply because of this risk.  I would limit to 10 books.
**********************************
I tried summer check out for the first time last summer.  It was a huge
success.  Many students took advantage of the program.  This year I have

already had students asking about checking books out for the summer. We
had
no more loss than we have during the year.
**********************************
Go for it! This one change I made 4 years ago has brought more positive
"public relations" than anything else I've done.
    I haven't lost more than a couple of books. The 8th and 9th grade
English
teachers bring their students down for book selection. It is optional
and
about half of each class selects something. They have an annotated
reading
list to choose from that I helped create. The older kids also have
required
reading lists and I sign out those titles, too, because the public
library
always gets a rush in August and I think it is a shame that my books
used to
sit unused all summer. I always push the leisure reading titles, too.
    I have no limit on the number they can take. My "library rats" or my

pets, as you could call them, can take a whole grocery bag of titles if
they
want. And they do! It takes about two weeks once school begins to get
everything back but it's worth it.
*********************************
We had summer circulation of books for the first time last summer.  It
worked very well.  We plan to repeat it this year.  We got all the books

back.  We also let summer school students take books out, and again we
got them all back.  We set no limit on the number of books, but no one
was unreasonable.  They were due the first day of school, and the
students who hadn't returned them got overdue notices and brought them
back.  I am sure it encouraged reading among the students.  The
interested students acted quite pleased to be allowed to take books out
for the summer.
********************************
We let students check out books for the summer.  Not many participate,
but
those who do seem to appreciate it.  We get them back--they are due on
the
first day of school.
********************************
We have had summer checkout for a number of years and it has worked
fine. Students who have fines paid and books turned in can check out
whatever they want over the summer.  We don't have  a huge number of
checkouts, but the students who use the summer checkout seem to
appreciate it and do not abuse it.  We may have lost one book in the ten

years or so that we have done this.  They check out required summer
reading mostly but also books they have wanted to read and haven't had
time--usually the thick ones.  Just last week, a student asked me if we
were going to have summer check outs again.
********************************
on a very limited basis it does work.  I make sure I do not loan to
Seniors,
other than that...

--------------4189A7D12119E9592953269D

Thanks to all who responded to my questions about circulating books during
the summer.&nbsp; Almost everyone was enthusiastic about their summer checkout
program.&nbsp; I got really excited reading their responses!&nbsp; I think
I'm gonna "go for it!"&nbsp; For those who requested to see the responses,
they are listed below.&nbsp; Thanks again for your input!
are a high
days per
in
notices in
in for
patron
some are
want
really
with
up in
for the
with
of
in the
is
<pre>yes, yes, yes!&nbsp;&nbsp; We allowed students to take books over the
summer.&nbsp; They
had to be returned by the first day of school and not before (unless the
family was moving unexpectedly).&nbsp;&nbsp; Students wrote out lists of books they
wanted...something like 20 each.&nbsp; We did not have a limit really, but that
seemed to work well.&nbsp;&nbsp; Then each student's parent signed a permission and
guarantee slip for return as promised or replacement.&nbsp;&nbsp; we then went
through the lists stacking books to fill requests.&nbsp; Where there were
duplicates and someone miss his first choice he got his second and maybe a
lst choice winner did not get his 2nd choice but was bumped down to 3rd.
It was amazing how we could balance this out.&nbsp;&nbsp; Then we told the kids to
trade off with one another during the summer if there were books that were
in high demand.&nbsp;&nbsp; Just that one student was responsible for the books that
were on his list.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We had probably 25 students who wanted to
do this at
the beginning.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The English Dept tried
stipulating a few books that
would be read during the summer for classwork in the fall, but this was
purely for fun reading and the books were good ones&nbsp; that the kids just
did not have time for during the school year assignments.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Losses?
None.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; some went to summer holidays where there were no libraries,
etc.</pre>
**********************************
a book.&nbsp; I don't start it until the last week or so of school
and paid any fines are eligible.&nbsp; I don't limit the number of
let teachers bring their whole class in for checkout as that would
lead to losses.&nbsp; Announcements are made over the
Now I have students asking when they can check out for
is well worth it.
the summer.&nbsp; If they leave during the summer, I will have no way to
get my books back from them once their records are sent.&nbsp; If you plan
to do this, I would be sure Guidance had a list of students and materials
so that you can get them back if the student has to suddenly move&nbsp;
This assumes you have a
but you will more than likely get burned at some point.&nbsp; I would limit
the number of check outs simply because of this risk.&nbsp; I would limit
to 10 books.
a huge
year I have
We had