Hello all-
I received a few very helpful suggestions (Thanks to all) and a hit was
requested, so here are all the responses, preceded by the gist of my
request:
   I, too, will
> > > be opening our library  for a few hours in the summer, probably
for at
> > > least 2 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays, for a total of 4 hours
per
> > > week...  These would be K-5 students.  Usually 12-20 come each
week, but
> > > they aren't always the same ones, so I would have to be flexible
and not
> > > necessarily require that they come more than once...I was hoping
to do something with
    poetry - keeping it fun - but I don't really have any specific
plans.  Any ideas?

You could get a couple of those magnetic poetry sets and a couple of
cookie
sheets.  When kids come in, they can play around with the words to make
image-filled phrases.  (The sky is a pink bed for dreamy clouds - that
kind
of thing.)  You can write their lines on long strips of paper before
they
take them apart and decorate the library - or hall leading to the
library -
with their signed poetic lines

Try Reader's Theater.  It lends itself to cross age groups, you can have
box of props, and what fun for the kids.  There are books with scripts
or
you can go to Aaron Shepherd's website for print out ones.

Get a copy of one of Carolyn Feller Bauer's books, particularly "This
Way to Books" -- brimming with ideas! The one that leaps to mind is her
"poetry break" which can take as much (or as little) time as you like,
and does not require students' attendance at multiple sessions.

An excellent book on introducing poetry is: "The Poetry Break: An
Annotated
Anthology with Ideas for Intnroducing Children to Poetry" by Caroline
Feller
Bauer.
It is from the H.W. Wilson Company - $55 - but worth it.  Their phone
number
is 800-367-6770 or online at www.hwilson.com.  Good luck with your
program
this summer.