Thanks to all who replied about  this set from Grolier.  For those of you =
looking for a set to complement Literature and It's Times, this one looks =
good.

We have this set.  Every author has a two-page spread.  The one page =
consists of 4-6 paragraphs about the author, including pictures in the =
margin.  The bottom of the page has a box listing all the works.  This =
usually continues onto the next page.  This second page has a time line of =
World Events.  My students/teachers find this helpful when trying to find =
what may have influenced the author's life/works.  Most my teachers have =
the students use this series as a starting point of their research.  (The =
more advanced classes usually only glance at the set, but the others like =
it.) My supervisor purchased this set for all secondary libraries.

I used it in an academic high school last year and found the articles too =
short (about 2 pages each).

I've got the set and checked to see if it would helpthat kind of assignment=
. I think it would.    The only drawback is the picture of the author is =
of a black and white block print style. =20

We have it and have used it quite a bit.

We just got this set. It looks pretty good to me. Our English teachers =
haven't used it yet but when I showed it to them they were pretty =
enthusiastic.=20

I like the fact that the author's life is broken up into 20 year chunks.  =
When the author was born....this happened.  When the author was 20 years =
old....When the author was 40.... When the author was 60....  There is no =
further info on the event other than what and when.   Hopefully, students =
will research relevant events further.   I bought this for my Amer. Lit =
teachers because they have students find out if and how history affected =
what the author wrote.   Students will have to look elsewhere for a =
complete bio and for criticism.

We have this set and I wouldn't want to work without them.  .  Buy them =
you will never regret the expenditure.

We have the set at our high school and the teachers love them.    They =
have been used all year  round.

We have.  It is very basic - no criticisms, but our teachers like it =
because it shows what was going on at the time author was writing.

I have the Literary Lifeline set. It just gives short biographical info =
about authors.  You might to check
a set called Literature and Its Times from Gale Group.It contains =
"profiles of 300 notable literary works &
the historical events that influenced them." It has REF; lots of in depth =
info & spans ancient times (Homer) to
the present. It's a great set.

Lorraine Barker, LMS
Corning East HS