I learned to read with Dick and Jane(and Spot the dog and Puff the cat) in
the early 50's.  I remember the :Think and Do Books which stressed phonics;
I also rememeber being taught phonics separately; I can still see myself
sitting with my Mom saying: cat, mat, fat, sat, from a small book.

When I started teaching 2nd grade in 1969 the school district was still
using Dick and Jane(Scott Foresman); we also used the think and do books and
taught phonics.  When the district went to a new basal reading system a few
years later(Houghton Mifflin, I Think) many of the stories were based on or
taken from children's books and there was a major emphasis on phonics(again
with the workbooks).  In fact in 1st grade they began with sounds; they
would learn what sound a letter made; had a visual clue and also were taught
how to use the context to tell if it was the correct word.

Personally, I think a combination of methods is best; teaching sight
words(which we did for years) then phnics approach and whole word and most
of all just immersing the kids in books and other things to read.

Diane Pozar
Monroeville, Pa.
We read to know we are not alone.  C.S. Lewis