Thanks to all who responded to my request on how to classify sound
recordings.  I had many various responses, all listed below.

Thanks again,

Marina Branner
Head Librarian
St. Andrew's School
350 Noxontown Road
Middletown, DE 19709
302-285-4289
mbranner@standrews-de.org

I can send you the anscar system (combinations of letters) if you wish
-- that is what i use

*******************

Many years ago I worked in a music library. At that time, long before
automation, we simply filed the records (again, long before the cd) by
accession number. The catalog card was the place for the patron to find out
which record was wanted, and what number went with it. Yes, it made it a
little harder to compare two recordings of the Brandenburg Concerto, for
example, since they might be shelved some distance apart. If you remember
that the purpose of a cataloging system is simply to allow the patron to
find the work in question, it really doesn't matter whether the works next
to it are related or not.

***********************

I ordered some books on tape through ECONO CLAD and had them do the
processing for me.  They processed them using the standard Dewey and FIC.

***********************
I am one who uses a combination of letters and Dewey because the AV
materials are kept in a separate location, and I don't want to confuse
users
by having them look through the books for a 780 item when it's in the back
room.  I use CD, AC (audio cassette), or VC (video cassette), etc.,
followed
by the Dewey number and the author's (or titles) first three letters.  A
piano concerto by Mozart on CD might be catalogued by me like this:  CD 780
MOZ.  A biography of Mozart on video would be catalogued as:  VC B MOZ.

************************

I have a large record collection both spoken work and music and I
use Dewey.  The recordings are on the open shelves (all along the
bottom because of weight).  Using Dewey keeps all of the same
piece/work/play, etc. together.

*************************

What does your curriculum call for?   Do users look for ensemble
music,musicals,
opera music, Symphony conductors, concertos, solo instruments, soloists?
You catalog by what yhour users need and call for.   Period of time of
composer?     The simple thing is by composer, of course, but if you have
a lively clasroom teacher you will need catloging that gives you other
subject leads no matter how you file them.

**************************

allmusic.com has marc records for recordings

***************************

Do you have Mitinet MARC Magician?  It has a template
for cataloging recordings (also for videos,
multimedia, etc.), it's easy to use, and it's a
wonderful time saver.  It's especially good for the
cataloging of music recordings (which is primarily
done in a separate branch of librarianship--music
librarianship) when you aren't accustomed to such a
specialized kind of cataloging.  It is definitely
different from book cataloging!  The AACR2r manual has
a separate chapter (ch. 6) on cataloging sound
recordings.

If you have OCLC access, you'll find catalog records
from music libraries all over the world.  You might
also try getting into the Library of Congress catalog
to see what you can find.

If you don't have Mitinet, then I'd suggest going to
Marcive and ordering records, since you have so many
CDs to catalog and process.

You might possibly find records on Sunlink for them,
but I somehow don't think you could count on getting
many hits.  And unless someone there is into music
cataloging, you'd probably find sketchy records.  As
I've already told you, music cataloging is a
specialized field.

********************************

The system you cited is the ANSCR system.  There is a book explaining how
to catalog in this way.

Most public libraries here use this system for musical recordings.

Our school library only has spoken audio, and catalogs them the same as
fiction, with CT prefix for Cassette Tape.

************************************

 I have ended up using Alliance+ database from Follett and a lot of
copycat cataloging. I use the Z39.50 protocol via EZcat from Book Systems,
Inc.  As to call numbers, I use Dewey Decimal numbers. I put the spine
label
on the front of the paper inside the jewel case; then, I put a small width
of
colored paper at the top of the spine, one color for each number from 781
789 and we file the cds on the bookcase by color, not trying to put them
in
order by the decimal points and composer/performer/title cutter letters.