Thanks to Renate, and to Carl Seale -- I did a little more checking
AND in addition to the Los Angeles Times article that Renate was kind
enough to send (perhaps she would send the URL for others who are
interested -- of course, we would not post the article here in
consideration of the copyright rights) and to the following
information from the government judiciary site reached from
govspot.com

Must check out what THE VIEW had to say, again. -- But it doesn't
seem to be on their website.
URRRGGG

Sharron

Court Cases

                              Owasso Independent School District v. Falvo

The Office of the Solicitor General at the Department of Justice
recently filed a brief with the United States Supreme Court on behalf
of the United States in OWASSO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. I-011
v. FALVO, No. 00-1073. The Office of the Solicitor General submitted
the brief as amicus curiae, supporting the petitioners (the Owasso
School District). The
issue before the Court in this case is whether allowing students to
grade each other's homework and tests as their teacher goes over the
correct answers aloud in class violates the prohibition in the Family
Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), 20 U.S.C. 1232g,
against the release, without parental consent, of students'
"education records." The brief sets forth the position of the
United States on this issue.
The Court is expected to rule on this case by June 2002. Because the
Court may address the application of FERPA to student work
more broadly beyond the education practice at issue in the case, the
Department of Education will review the Court's ruling before
determining whether further guidance or regulations are needed.

--
Sharron L. McElmeel <mailto:mcelmeel@mcelmeel.com>
Writer, educational and editorial consultant, and Webkeeper @ McBookwords
3000 N. Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548
http://www.mcelmeel.com
ph. (319) 393-2562; fax (319) 393-4749
Author of ABCs OF AN AUTHOR/ILLUSTRATOR VISIT (Linworth, 2001), 100
MOST POPULAR CHILDREN'S AUTHORS (Libraries Unlimited, 1999) and 100
MOST POPULAR PICTURE BOOK AUTHORS AND ILLUSTRATORS (Libraries
Unlimited, 2000);
NEW (forthcoming) CHARACTER EDUCATION: A BOOK GUIDE FOR TEACHERS,
LIBRARIANS, AND PARENTS (Libraries Unlimited, 2002) and LITERATURE
FRAMEWORKS: APPLES TO ZOOS, revised edition (Linworth Publishing,
2002)
  For more information or information about other books/articles, see
http://www.mcelmeel.com/writing/