Dear Netters,

(For those of you who missed the original posting, I have volunteered to put
Dewey numbers on the nonfiction in our new all-volunteer community library
(community population 1200).  We hope to have it open for checkout in June.
I have asked if anyone has an Abridged Dewey 12 to spare--I think that's the
next-to-the-latest--and will be glad to pay postage.)

Several of you have been kind enough to suggest online sites such as Library
of Congress to get the Dewey numbers from.  I have saved those sites for
future reference because I'm sure they will come in handy.  I would have no
qualms about doing this for the entire section from the Library of Congress
or similar site.  It certainly wouldn't be costing the Dewey people money we
would have otherwise spent because we HAVE no money.  We can't get a grant
until this stuff is catalogued.

The problem is that there is no computer in the new library--there's hardly a
library in the new library. We have a small room with a mixed set of shelves,
books, a small table with two children's chairs, and a child's desk.  So to
avoid lugging all the books home or to the library in the next town, we still
really need  a Dewey book 12!

One person suggested making copies of the relevant information to take to the
library in the next town to use their Dewey and that's what I probably need
to try next.  There must be a copier at City Hall if they will let me use it
for this.  (At any rate, until they figure out exactly how many copies I'm
going to need!)

Thanks,

Cindy Denning
TWU MLIS student