Sharon,

I would like to applaud you for expressing my thoughts in a most eloquent
manner.  I have always been and always will be a fan of AR.  For years
teachers have told students what to read - "Students turn to page 53 in your
reading book.  Today we are going to read X story."  Or they pass out trade
books for the class to read as a whole, regardless of individual reading
levels.  Not to say that there are not advantages to reading material
together for teaching purposes, but with AR we are now telling the students
that they have a range of books from which to choose.  And when they master
reading books on that level they can move on to more challenging material.

Also, I have heard people say that AR and programs like it actually turn
children off to reading, but let me tell you about my own experience with it.
 My son, who is in the 9th grade and can read books on a college grade level
used to be a nonreader.  It was like pulling teeth to get him to read.  When
we went to the public library, I would have to force him to select a book,
and more often than not the book laid around unread.  However, the school
participated in Reading Reniassance last year for the first time.  He was
really pushed at school to read books for the first time in his life (other
than reading from basels or trade books).  Lately when we go to the library,
I do not have to say anything about selecting a book.  He goes off on his
own, selects a book, and actually reads it.  For this reason alone, no one
will ever be able to persuade me that AR is a bad program.

As for the question about when to begin students on AR, my son started AR in
K and did exceptionally well with it.  Yes, he is a gifted reader, but did
not view taking tests as a punishment.  He viewed it as being able to
participate in a program that he had seen his older brother participate in.
However, if you are concerned about whether or not a child is ready for AR,
Renaissance Learning has developed a new diagnostic test called STAR Early
Literacy that tests phonemic awareness, phonics, and other early reading
skills.  I have not used this program myself, but I have seen the diagnostic
printouts and was really impressed.  You can get further information at
http://www.renlearn.com/starearlyliteracy/default.htm.

Anyway ... that is my two cents worth on reading management programs.

Vaneesa Thompson
MLIS Student
The University of Alabama