I originally asked for literary quotes to use for a contest during Teen Read
Week. Thanks to those that responded. I only received a few responses and
several requests for a hit. I'm first putting the classic or young adult
literature quotes, and then at the end I included the quotes I used from
children's literature. Thanks again. Jill Fulton

The Grapes of Wrath

"To the red country and part of the gray country of Oklahoma, the last rains
came gently, and they did not cut the scarred earth.  The plows crossed and
recrossed the rivulet marks.  The last rains lifted the corn quickly and
scattered weed colonies and grass along the sides of the road so that the
gray country and the dark red country began to disapear under a green
cover."

The Great Gatsby

        "In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some
advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
        'Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone,' he told me, 'just
remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that
you have had.'"

The Scarlet Letter

        "A throng of bearded men, in sad-colored garments and gray,
steeple-crowned hats, intermixed with women, some wearing hoods, and others
bareheaded, was assembled in front of a wooden edifice, the door of which
was heavily timbered with oak, and studded with iron spikes."

The Giver

        "It was almost December and Jonas was begining to be frightened.
No. Wrong word, Jonas thought.  Frightened meant that deep, sickening
feeling of something terrible about to happen.  Frightened was the way he
had felt a year ago when an unidentified aircraft had overflown the
community twice."

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

        "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be
prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished;
persons attempting to find aplot in it will be shot.
                                                        By order of the
Author."

A Tale of Two Cities

        "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

Don Quixote

        "At a village of La Mancha, whose name I do not wish to remember,
there lived a little while ago one of those gentlemen who are wont to keep a
lance in the rack, an old buckler, a lean horse, and a swift greyhound."

The House on Mango Street

        "They always told us that one day we would move into a house, a real
house that would be ours for always so we wouldn't have to move each year.
And our house would have running water and pipes that worked.  And inside it
would have real stairs, not hallway stairs, but stairs inside like the
houses on TV."

Parrot in the Oven

        "That summer my brother, Bernardo, or 'Nardo,' as we call him,
flipped through more jobs than a thumb through a deck of cards.  First he
was a dishwasher, then a busboy, then a parking attendant and, finally, a
patty turner for some guy who never seemed to be in his hamburger stand for
more than ten minutes at a time."

Treasure Island

        "I remember him as if it were yesterday, as he came plodding in the
inn door, his sea-chest following behind him in a handbarrow; a tall,
strong, heavy, nut-brown man; his tarry pigtail falling over the shoulders
of his soiled blue coat; his hands ragged and scarred , with black broken
nails; and the sabre cut across one cheek, a dirty, livid white."

To Kill a Mockingbird

        "When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly
broken at the elbow.  When it healed, and Jem's fears of never being able to
play football were assuaged, he was seldom self-conscious about his injury."

"Elementary, My dear Watson! - Sherlock Holmes refrain

"Some animals are more equal than others" - pigs proclamation in George
Orwell's Animal Farm

"O Captain my Captain! Our fearful trip is done.."  Opening line of Walt
Whitman's Poem about the fallen Abraham Lincoln

------
Children's Literature Quotes

Dr. Seuss
Oh, the Places You'll Go
"You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
Any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
        And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy
        Who'll decide where to go."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Margery Williams
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that
happens to you. When a child really loves you for a long, long time, not
just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become REAL."

 E.B. White
Charlotte's Web
"You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my
webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're
born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being
something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping
you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's
life can stand a little of that."

Shel Silverstein
The Giving Tree
"I want to buy things and have fun.
I want some money.
Can you give me some money?"
"I'm sorry," said the tree, "but I have no money.
I have only leaves and apples.
Take my apples, Boy, and sell them
in the city. Then you will have money
and you will be happy."

Lewis Carroll
Alice in Wonderland
"There was nothing so very remarkable in that; nor did she think it so very
much out of the way to hear the rabbit say to itself, 'Oh dear! Oh dear! I
shall be too late!'"

Jill Fulton, Librarian
Providence High School
Burbank, CA