More replies:

*****************
First of all, I think you are trying to accommodate too many classes at
the same time. Schedule only what you can handle, whether or not someone
has to go on hold for another day. Secondly, don't teach library skills in
isolation. They should be as a part of the teacher's lesson. Ex.: A
teacher wants students to research dogs.  Teach the students how to use
the catalog and whatever resources they will need. But the main part of
the period should be their finding and using the resources for their
assignment--not your "teaching" them in the traditional sense.  And of
course, the teacher must be there to help them.
***********************
        Response:  I feel that I am teaching them in context.  The social studies
dept. is conducting a History Fair project so all of their classes are
coming in once this month.  I am guiding them hands-on, two to a computer,
through our online databases.  I am also showing them how to copy and paste
their  notes to a Word document, as well citing sources.  I am also guiding
them through the OPAC: looking up items about "Greece", for example, or
whatever the subject is for that class.  I am guiding them through Follett's
WebPath Express (Internet sites related to the subject) and how to add
selected books to a Bookbag.

What I could do differently and better, though, as you suggested above,
would be to have this in two different class periods so that the students
would have time to look for their books and print their Bookbag in the first
class.  The second class would be devoted to online database searching and
electronic notetaking; this would allow them time to actually take some
notes and print them out.  Instead, I have been going through all of this in
one marathon 90-min. session so in this sense, I guess I'm not allowing them
time to use the skills and, in effect, I am teaching slightly out of
context.  Thank you for your observations - they made me reflect.

In regard to trying to accommodate too many classes at the same time,
however, I have no choice.  Our school is emphasizing AR in a big way and
they feel the teachers need to come in with their classes every other week,
in addition to walking in.  I already asked if I could scale back on this
until I have an aide but was politely refused.  They did provide me with a
paraprofessional who helped me with checking out and shelving yesterday.
This helped a lot!

Carol Valdez, Librarian
Salvador Garcia Middle School
499 Pena Dr.