Dear Librarians,

I recently asked for suggestions of chapter books with the theme of cold
lands for 3rd and 4th graders.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it and so do the children.

Here's a list of recommended chapter books:

Tough Boy and Sister by Kirkpatrick Hill
and the companion books are about Native Alaskans living in the bush set in
current times. Lots of adventure and a real feel for the setting - some
survival thrown in. Main characters are elementary age.

Julie of the Wolves, Julie, Julie's Wolf pack by J. Craighead George.

Brian's Winter by Gary Paulsen.
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. They take place in the winter instead of summer.
Canada setting.

Last year our school's yearlong reading program was Reading Around the World
in 180 Days. One of our months was "Cold Lands". I put out a suggested list
of books and created a web site of related links to resources. (the books are
those available at our own Public Library, so there may be other GREAT ones
not on the list...
The web site is at
http://www.websterschools.org/classrooms/state_library/cold_lands.html
My Book list follows:
Cold Lands Reading Theme
Picture Books:
Crosby Bonsall--What Spot? (Beginning Reader)
Peggy Parish--Ootah's Lucky Day (Beginning Reader)
Jan Andrews--Very Last First Time
Ann Blades--Mary of Mile 18
Lynd Ward--The Biggest Bear
Ole Hertz--Tobias Catches Trout; Tobias Goes Ice Fishing; Tobias Goes Seal
Hunting
Gloria Rand--Salty Takes Off; Salty Sails North; Prince William
David Wisniewski--Elfwyn's Saga
Robert J. Blake--Akiak: A Tale From the Iditarod
Elizabeth Cleaver--The Enchanted Caribou
Jonathan Chester--A for Antarctica
Jean Craighead George--Snow Bear; Arctic Son
Robert Sabuda--The Blizzard's Robe
Jonathan London--The Sugaring-off Party; Ice Bear and Little Fox
Barbara Joosse--Mama, Do You Love Me?
Pam Conrad--Call Me Ahnighito
Palle Petersen--Inunguak The Little Greenlander
Robert Munsch--Thomas' Snowsuit; 50 Below Zero; A Promise is a Promise; and
From Far Away
Art Wolfe--O is for Orca
Bruce McMillan--Puffins Climb, Puffins Rhyme

Chapter Books:
Barthe DeClements--The Bite of the Gold Bug
Jean Craighead George--Julie of the Wolves; Julie; and Julie's Wolf Pack
Mary Pope Osborne--Polar Bears Past Bedtime
Ellen MacGregor--Miss Pickerell Goes to the Arctic
Jeanie Kortum--Ghost Vision
Kirkpatrick Hill--The Year of Miss Agnes
Lucy Maud Montgomery--Anne of Green Gables series
Jane Langton--The Fledgling
Janet Lunn--One Hundred Shining Candles
Dawna Buchanan--The Falcon's Wing
Norman Howard--How Glooskap Outwits the Ice Giants
Burnford, Sheila--The Incredible Journey
Mary Cowan--Ice Country
Eckert, Allan--The Incident at Hawk's Hill

Non-fiction books:
Susan Bonners--A Penguin Year
Jane Yolen--Once Upon Ice and Other Frozen Poems
Bruce McMillan--Summer Ice; Penguins at Home
Greg Breining--The Northern Forest
Joanna Cole--The Magic School Bus in the Arctic
Kathryn Lasky--Surtsey: The Newest Place on Earth
Robert Service--The Cremation of Sam McGee
Dorothy Hinshaw Patent--Great Ice Bear
Richard Sobol--Seal Journey
Maria Mudd-Ruth--The Tundra

Perhaps 'Dogsong' by Gary Paulsen.  It's a graphic story about a native
Eskimo boy on a solo trip through Alaska with his sled dog.  It's very
revealing about the weather and some animals that live there, as well as the
diet and clash of cultures.  Great book - but perhaps still too complex for
3rd graders.

Go to Cook Inlet Books Children's Book Pages
(http://cookinlet.booksense.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp?GXHC_GX_jst=90c77146662d

6167&GX HC_gx_session_id_store=f8b1efe2669129aa&s=newsletter)
and you can browse their collection of Alaskan books. They have great titles,
and their descriptions may help you chose. Most of these titles are available
from other vendors, but I find their selections to be of good quality.

Rebecca Reitz
Rebreitz@aol.com
MLS Student, Palmer School of Library and Info Science, NYC
and Assistant Librarian, Hunter College Elementary School, NYC