Netters,

I too want to thank Suby for her very helpful site. Her ideas prompted me
to share these two suggestions for getting books back on time and in good
condition:

1. Most schools send home a monthly lunch menu. Remind your teachers each
month to have the kids MARK THEIR LIBRARY DAY on the menu before it goes
home. When kids check the menu in the morning before school, it will help
remind them and parents about library day.

2. Encourage the kids to use a special bag (a new, heavy duty zip-lock bag
is ideal - not a noisy, crinkly bag!) to put in their backpack to protect
their library book(s). ONLY library books to go inside this bag! I have
been recommending them even to the teachers to purchase and distribute if
they so decide (especially if they have many low-income students whose
parents wouldn't buy a box). Another Netter shared that Wall-Mart had them
(2 gallon size?) back in September. I didn't see any there, but my local
Target had 2 1/2 gallon size with the easy slide zipper, 14 to a box, under
$4 (look for a fuchsia box). These even had an area that the student's name
could be written on. Having a "special" bag inside the backpack seems to
help keep the books from getting that black "goopy" stuff (that lines a lot
of backpacks)on the books.

Joanne Ladewig
"Library Lady" at Lawrence Elementary
Garden Grove, California