I have struggled with putting novels like these in the
library due to challenges, but I finally bucked up and
did the right thing.  But first, I had to self educate
myself and then the kids through booktalks to (1) know
what the book is about and (2) recommend them to
students who could relate to them.

In the booktalk, I asked students, "How is your life
same from your parents or grandparents?  What do
teenagers go through now that parents or grandparents
never have?"
Answers varied, but basically the kids said that
probably everyone drank on weekends.  The differences
far outweighed the similarities.

Kids go through identity crisis in the open now.  THey
go through severe depressions, suicidal tendencies,
etc...Society has changed, and with that so have the
themes of books.

Books today aren't written for the parent or
grandparent in mind.  They are to target the young
adults of today, not thirty years ago.  What your
parents might find repulsive or wrong isn't going to
be that way for you.

There are about 5000 books published for young people
in the US every year.  Not every one is good, but
those that are will deal with tough issues kids face
today.  Over half of all high school students want to
read a book about a serious issue instead of for comic
relief.  Bring in Margaret Early and her reading
theory to interest the kids.

That is how I dealt with it this year.  I told them
that if something in a book doesn't sit right with
them, don't go and run and complain to the
parents...just turn it in.  There is someone here at
school who can relate to it.

Some books I've booktalked are
Stick Figure
Kissing Tennessee