I have been concerned enough about this to tell my library aides that we =
should wash our hands with soap and water after handling the mail.  The =
problem is that if a magazine has the anthrax germs on it, they will stay =
on it for a period of time.  I believe that if the postal equipment has =
the anthrax germs on it and the magazines pass through it then magazines, =
even when we know where and who they came from, might be infected.  One =
solution the post office is starting to use is to send some mail through a =
radiation machine that will kill the anthrax germs.  If after that =
treatment the mail is handled by 'clean' equipment. it should be ok.  I =
think most of the letters that contained the anthrax spores were mailed =
about the 18th of September, but authorities believe there is one missing =
letter - meaning one they haven't found that is lost in the mail.  My =
question is - how long can anthrax spores live on objects such as magazines=
?  I think we are just beginning to see some of the effects of this =
anthrax scare.  With the tons of mail that go through the postal system =
everyday and the fact that anthrax spores have escaped from envelopes I =
believe we must think beyond the original warnings.  Also, if anthrax =
tainted mail is received by a library and you place it on a table then isn'=
t there a possibility that the anthrax is now on the table or other object =
it touched?  One ray of hope in this whole situation is that it takes =
about 5,000 spores to infect someone so if a few spores are picked up they =
won't be enough to infect someone with anthrax. As far as library books, =
magazines, etc. spreading diseases there is little evidence that this =
happens.  I don't mean to alarm someone by my comments, but only to say =
this is a time for caution.=20
--=20
Kathy Geronzin
District Librarian=20